88 PATHFINDER 4 WHEEL DRIVE SHAKING ISSUE

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

FPF

88 PATHFINDER 4 WHEEL DRIVE SHAKING ISSUE

Postby FPF » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:01 am

Here is my issue: my vehicle runs great in 2 wheel drive. when i put it into 4 wheel drive the front end starts shaking back and forth severely. its almost like its being pulled side to side.

the history of what has happened over the last year is as follows. I lifted it 3" and had NO ISSUES for 9 months. It has been wheeled on countless trails. in early oct after getting done four wheeling, i noticed the CV joints were torn. It still wasnt acting up. I took the vehicle in and had them replaced. a week later i used 4 wheel drive during our first snow storm for the first time since the parts were replaced and the symptoms started. I could only control the car in 2 wheel drive. 4 wheel drive at 20mph was almost deadly.

-the dealership said the cv's were at too high of an angle but wouldnt work on it because it was lifted.
-4 to Go said the vehicle is supposed to be uncontrollable in four wheel drive (complete morons)
-4 wheel parts said the cv's were at too high of an angle.
i decided to have the cv's replaced with heavy duty ones, and lowered the front end 2" from where it sat before the replacement. 4 wheel parts assured me this would fix it.

after 1000 dollars in diagnostics, parts, and labor NOTHING HAS FIXED THE ISSUE.

I realize this was lifted, but my stock CV's had no issues with the lift for 9 months. So WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON WITH MY VEHICLE?!

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:59 am

Has the front driveshaft been checked? It could possibly be bent or out of balance.

FPF

Postby FPF » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:37 pm

no it hasnt yet. its a good idea. thanks for the reply. honestly i'm very hesitant to put any more money into figuring out what it is unless i find someone who is 90% sure they know. Im buying a house right now so all this has really stressed me out. I've been having all these mechanics tell me what they think it is but seem to know nothing, yet they keep charging me money and nothings getting fixed. i feel like im chasing my tail and burning cash at the same time. i was hoping someone on here has had the same problem.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:53 pm

I don't have any experience with older pathfinders but I do with older jeeps. My Jeep had a bent front drive shaft that was causing some major vibrations. Hope you get to the bottom of this without spending a fortune.

FPF

Postby FPF » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:28 pm

deermjd wrote:I don't have any experience with older pathfinders but I do with older jeeps. My Jeep had a bent front drive shaft that was causing some major vibrations. Hope you get to the bottom of this without spending a fortune.
thanks man. i guess that should be the next thing i try to check. it just baffles me because 4 wheel drive worked the day i took it into the shop and just 5 days later after he wrenched on it, and the first time since i tried to use 4 wheel drive, nothing worked. I know it could be a coincedence that two things broke in a week but i just feel like it was something he did. i mean he took my front end apart, put it back together and now im having issues. im definitely not a mechanic so i dont know.....

Return to “General Automotive”