Time to replace stock tires any suggestions ??

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Lgamech

Time to replace stock tires any suggestions ??

Postby Lgamech » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:00 pm

:?: Okay so its close to 39K on the stock Bridgestones Duelers and They're starting to wear out quickly. I've never had luck with bridgestones, my last set that was on my 93 pathy were Pirelli Scorpions. Before that I only used the BF Goodrich AT's. No offense to anyone who prefers Bridgestones, me I can't stand them. So what does everyone use and why did they choose them ?

Mike 8)

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Time to replace stock tires any suggestions ??

Postby NVSteve » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:29 pm

Lgamech wrote::?: Okay so its close to 39K on the stock Bridgestones Duelers and They're starting to wear out quickly. I've never had luck with bridgestones, my last set that was on my 93 pathy were Pirelli Scorpions. Before that I only used the BF Goodrich AT's. No offense to anyone who prefers Bridgestones, me I can't stand them. So what does everyone use and why did they choose them ?
What size? I also hated my Duelers, yet I just bought a set of Revos, so go figure. Lots to choose from- BFG, Toyo, Nitto, Yokohama, etc.

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:01 pm

Heres' some tires that I've been looking at which would be about ideal for my application as this is mainly a long distance /work truck. In a 235/85R16 they would give about 3/4 inch additional clearance, the 1/2 inch narrower tread would be good for ice and mud roads and in a D rating shouldn't give too stiff a ride. One problem with them though is they might outlive the truck. :)

Michelin LTX M/S
Michelin LTX M/S reviews.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:43 am

LGA, I won't let your location dictate my answer, but what kind of driving are we talking about on/off-road/combo?

Lgamech

Postby Lgamech » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:28 pm

I use my Pathy as a response vehicle. When my pager goes off i get in and book to my firehouse. So i would say most of driving would be considered combo with 70% being harsh street driving the rest is off road fun. 8)

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:33 am

I'm a big fan of the Toyo Opencountry AT. It's the sister Tire of the Nitto Terra Grappler + an extra sidewall ply. Alot of tire for the money, wear like Iron, and you won't know the meaning of hydroplane ( be carefull your confidence may betray a mudflap).

I owned 2 sets of the P-rated tires on my ZJ V8. First set made 48k before a sidewall puncture on a road under construction. The second set outlasted the Jeep. This is my first go-round with the LTs, Pictured are my 31.6" with 20k of not so gentle miles:
They will probably hit 45-50k no problem...
You will probably be find the P rated a little more suited for the stock suspensions. You will se some fuel Eco drop from an HT tire.
I hear alot of good stuff about the Revos (supposedly that much better than the Dueler ATs).
I've been eyeing the Cooper Xeon LTZs and STTs as well for the future...
If you look closer at either tire they look like updated knockoffs of the Nitto TG\OpencountryAT and the Opencountry MTs

Lgamech

Postby Lgamech » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:31 pm

20 K and the tire looks pretty good. I like the extra sidewall ply. My HT's really are burning out I've plugged at least three out of the 4 tires so far and that does not make me a happy camper. Thanks for the info Fofiddy :D

geoffstgermaine

Postby geoffstgermaine » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:54 pm

Fofiddy wrote:I'm a big fan of the Toyo Opencountry AT.
My dad put these tires on his F150 in the summer. So far he's pretty happy with them. They're one of the tires I'm interested in for when I swap. Probably the LT265/70R17. It looks like you have the LT265/75R16s?

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:32 pm

@ Geoff: They are LT265/75 R16s C load (6ply).
@LGA: I'll try to take a better pic in macro mode and edit my earlier post.

If you drive conservitively you'll notice flatter cornering and it's not too different maybe a little more of a truck-like feel stiffer. If anything the Path feels more substantial than the stock P rateds.
On the other hand if you are an agressive driver like myself you'll hate your stock suspension more. So the OME hopefully goes in this weekend pending the arrival of my new Branick 7400 (thanks Blink). With exception of the SE Off-Road's Rancho/Bilstiens I just don't think the OEM suspension will last too long with LTs but that is on the R51. I can't speak on behalf of other later unibody Path owners tho.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:17 pm

I lied, new Reply. I think this shot does the tire a little more justice:

I wouldn't suggest this or any other LT tire with the non-OR OEM Suspension. But coupled with the OME, I have no complaints on the tire rides beautifly.
Last edited by Fofiddy on Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:20 am

Fofiddy wrote: I wouldn't suggest this or any other LT tire with the non-OR OEM Suspension. But coupled with the OME, I have no complaints on the tire rides beautifly.
Those tires are a good fit. And it looks great without that stupid plastic side step.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:27 pm

Thanks NV, I agree the factory steps take alot away... considering the sliders now since all the people who have asked to go for a ride that aren't 6'+ are literally climbing in since the OME has been put on it. Not that I don't get amusement out of it but my girl is 5'7" so if that slider can be doubled as a step...
Now that I do have the OME the Opencountry MT or Cooper SST in 33" look mighty tasty on a nice 18x9 wheel.
Sorry for stepping off topic, sort of

matchbox2032

Postby matchbox2032 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:28 am

Sup guys' have 06' se pathys' any idea what is the best set of tire?
thanks'....

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:18 am

I've had BFG A/T's and liked them, but I've also had the Toyo Open Country A/T's and I liked those too. The Toyo's were much better in the snow and on the ice than the BFG's. I also found the Toyo's awesome on the wet pavement. After driving with them on you forget what hydroplaning feels like. I'm going to Discount Tire in Bellingham, WA this saturday to get a new set of tires. I've decided to go with a P265/70 R17. I'm not too sure which tire I will go with but I've looked online at the Consumer Reports all terrain tire ratings and that list goes a little something like this.

1.Pirelli Scorpion ATR ----79 points
2.Yokohama Geolandar AT - S ----73points
3.Bridgestone Dueler Revo AT ----71 points
4.Michelin LTX AT2 ----68 points
5.Toyo Open Country AT S ----68 points

According to their point scoring system, all of these tires are rated "VERY GOOD" and two of them, the Pirelli and the Bridgestone are on their "RECOMMENDED" . Consumer Reports have been pretty bang on with everything I've bought. They test all sorts of products in an unbiased and UNSPONSORED fashion. Translation: Manufacturers don't pay them to test their products.

Here is a link to that page, hopefully you guys can get on it as it is a subscription based website:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars ... erview.htm

The tires I'll be looking at this saturday will be the Yokohama Geolandar, Toyo Open Country AT S and the Nitto Terra Grappler AT(which I think is a Toyo sister tire)

Good luck with the tire shopping and I'll let you know what I got.

Cheers, :wink:

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:24 am

40,000 of hard wear (tripping the VDC on the regular) on my Toyo Opencountry AT/LTs and they still look like this:

If I had to do it over again I'd probably give up the stiffer sidewall of the LT for a little more compliant ride of the Passenger rated tire.

Return to “General Automotive”