Bolt Specs on Exhaust Manifold

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Festy_Pride

Bolt Specs on Exhaust Manifold

Postby Festy_Pride » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:25 pm

Hello all,

First post here. I'm glad to sse there is a great community out here.

I have a lazy friend who needs to fix his exhaust mani but he lost his studs and nuts.

The dealer will charge 7$ per stud and 5$ per nut. This is crazy.
I couldn't take out the studs and nuts at the local U-Pull.

I'd like to know the diameter, lenght, and thread pitch of this hardware to buy some new.

Thanks,
J-S,
Montreal

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:55 am

J-S, I would suggest paying the dealer prices in this case. These are not bolts you can just buy from Canadian Tire, they have specifications, ie they are probably Grade 8 or 10, and all you can get from the hardware store is Grade 5.

t

Festy_Pride

Postby Festy_Pride » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:09 am

Hello disallow,

Most automotive bolts are Grade 5. And grade 8 or 10 can be bought from many specialized hardware stores. I was not thinking about Canadian Tires, but the local one got some grade 8 bolts for your info.

Grade 5 bolts are probably more suited than a grade 8 because of their elasticity in tearing. A lot of the torque applied to an ex mani bolt is tear. If the bolt is too stiff, it will break. I've hear stories of grade 8 used on mani and breaking. Could be because of that.

I managed to find the stud specs from the NAPA description. Now I can order them from Fastenal :)

Thanks anyways

Return to “General Automotive”