Rough Idle for a few minutes on startup, sometimes reverse

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

jesandrw

Rough Idle for a few minutes on startup, sometimes reverse

Postby jesandrw » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:14 am

I just bought a 1997 pathfinder SE 4x4 187000 miles.
It reaplaced a 1996 accord rust bucket/ deathtrap

Anyways. I have noticed that on startup it will sometimes idle a little rough, but then clear up after driving for a few minutes. It also runs rough on occasion when backing up.

The SES light is one, took it to Auto Zone and they said its pulling a gas cap code and misfire code the guy said most comon for a simple tune up....(for the life of me I cant remember the code numbers though, and i literally just left the damn place 20 minutes ago)

Does it sound like the short periods of rough idle are because it does need a tune up, or possibly because of something else...Other than the problem describled the car runs great.

jesandrw

Postby jesandrw » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:22 am

anything?

id like to get whatever it is fixed before it becomes really serious.

jesandrw

Postby jesandrw » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:18 am

wow, really 105 views and not a single person can offer an idea......

thanks guys! ill find another board to go to. :roll:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:49 am

It could be a tune-up issue. Would help if you remembered the codes. These engines also had some issues with the fuel injectors getting dirty and sticking and a TSB addresses the issue; basically says to perform a professional fuel injection system cleaning before replacing any injectors. Stick with genuine Nissan or NGK parts when replacing any ignition system components.

Return to “General Automotive”