'89-90 pathfinder/pick up parts interchange

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

capnmike

'89-90 pathfinder/pick up parts interchange

Postby capnmike » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:48 pm

I've had several used hardbody p/ups and received good service/mpg. I like the 2dr bodystyle of the '89-90 pathfinder but I have to consider the mpg since I plan to use it for a daily driver. I have found a good body/ bad engine 2wd p/fdr and I need to know if its an easy engine/trans/rear end swap from p/up to p/fdr. I don't have the facilities for cutting and welding. Surely there is a way to improve mpg on the pathfinder. The answer may be on this site but I haven't found it. Thx.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:48 pm

The engine and trans swap, providing they are both the same, are pretty much direct interchange. The rear end is a bit different, though. As far as gas mileage, Pathfinders were never particularly good on gas mileage. Expect a combined fuel average around 15 mpg. Keeping your foot out of the throttle, tires inflated and keeping it properly tuned may gain you a little, but not much.

capnmike

pathfinder/pickup interchange

Postby capnmike » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:43 am

Thx for the info. I figured the p/fdr must be geared low compared to the p/up thus the consideration to swap rear ends. Could be the p/fndr is considerably heavier than the p/up. As much as I would like the convenience of the enclosed cabin, doesn't appear to be worth the trouble of swapping all the parts. thx for your help.

Return to “General Automotive”