kindly help - ignition timing?

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

olubachar

kindly help - ignition timing?

Postby olubachar » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:42 am

My 1998 model pathfinder automatic stopped working @ midst of the road so my mechanic said I should tow it to his work shop,I followed his instruction. He removed the ignition coil and replace it with another one.
Now, the jeep is not working as expected,it is difficult to start the engine- it takes up to 3 key cracks before it start. When it start it will sound high ( tachometer guage will be higher than 1 and later drop to 0.5 after a minite) the jeep also jerk wheneven am about to climb little hill rather when it change gear, it won't move. What could be the problem? Ignition timing or wiring faults. Please help me out.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:24 am

I don't understand...is your problem with a Pathfinder or a Jeep??

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:42 am

in some counties, the word "jeep" is like "SUV" and is used for all 4x4 vehicles.

olubachar

Postby olubachar » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:41 pm

mar1 wrote:in some counties, the word "jeep" is like "SUV" and is used for all 4x4 vehicles.
You're right. I was talking about nissan pathfinder 3.3 L v6 engine.
I observed that: it is difficult to start the engine.......i will've to crack the ignition key twice or more and hold the key tight in start position before it start.
It sound will be high whenever i start this vehicle and eventually come down to normal sound.
Meanwhile,it won't move faster whenever i wanted to overtake another vehicle rather it will be jerking.

Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:52 pm

It certainly sounds like it could be and ignition problem. The ignition coil, cam sensor and power transistor are all integral of the distributor as assy., so your mechanic should have replaced the entire distributor. So, the ignition timing could be off or even the distributor a tooth off during the replacement. The only way to tell would be to check the timing using a timing light. I would take it back to your mechanic and tell him it's still not working right.

olubachar

Postby olubachar » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:41 am

I did not remember to mentioned this, he said it didn't spray fuel so h
e has to pass a cable from someway near the distributor directly to the battery(positive) top.
Is it posible to service a ignition distributor? How, is it posible to change the camshaft sensor position alone if it is the causes? It is serviceable? How can i know a damaged cam shaft sensor? Image/diagram/ilustration will be appreciated.
Could it be that the cramkshaft sensor is gone because i have been driving this suv with ''service engine light soon on'' for the pass six months with 185734mile (when i told my mechanic he said that it means notting) now that he has change something like a clip attached to ignition distributor and pass a wire directly to battery) the SES light is off. But he complained that it will supply gas/fuel instantly whenever i switched the key to on position.
Now,both the mechanic and the rewire are confused, please expert advise is needed urgently.
What could be the problem?

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:07 am

are you in lebanon by any chance?

olubachar

Postby olubachar » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:48 am

No. Am in Nigeria

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Anytime a mechanic starts "rigging" as opposed to fixing a problem properly, it's a good time to find a new mechanic! The ECM pulses the ground for the fuel injectors based on input from the cam sensor. You likely need a new distributor assy. Nissan does not offer parts of the distributor seperately (other than the cap & rotor). The distributors do have some problems with work shaft bearings, so you are really better off replacing the whole distributor, anyway. It would have been nice to know what the stored code was. Anytime the MIL ( or CEL) light is staying "on" it is indicating a problem.

olubachar

Postby olubachar » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:21 am

In this morning,i disconnected the wrong connection made by the rewire. When i checked the fuse box i discovered ECCS & POWER SOCKET2 has burnt so i replaced the affected fuses.
The service engine light soon comes up after some minute of running the engine. I would look for someone to scan the vehicle in other to know where the problems situated. Most of the mechanic in my region dont believe in service engine soon light they will say dont bother yourself,it is notting.

Thank you

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:55 pm

Well, most of the mechanics in your region are wrong. You can retrieve the code yourself. The procedure can be found here:

www.troublecodes.net/Nissan

olubachar

Postby olubachar » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:11 am

smj999smj wrote:Well, most of the mechanics in your region are wrong. You can retrieve the code yourself. The procedure can be found here:

www.troublecodes.net/Nissan
:D amazing, am grateful. Is there any link I can get more ''trouble codes info'' for pathfinder 1998 model and above. I have gained a lot from the above link.

Txs,

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:31 am

You may be able to find a downloadable factory service manual on the web. If you need information for a specific code, I can send you the FSM diagnostic procedure and wiring diagrams, if needed. Just send me an E-mail at [email protected] and put "RE: 98 Pathfinder info request" in the subject line.

olubachar

Postby olubachar » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:10 pm

smj999smj wrote:You may be able to find a downloadable factory service manual on the web. If you need information for a specific code, I can send you the FSM diagnostic procedure and wiring diagrams, if needed. Just send me an E-mail at [email protected] and put "RE: 98 Pathfinder info request" in the subject line.
pls check your inbox. Tx

Return to “General Automotive”