Labor cost for Differential/transfer case oil change...

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

The_Force

Labor cost for Differential/transfer case oil change...

Postby The_Force » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:49 am

I am planning on having the oil in my front and rear diffs changed and having the oil in the transfer case changed.

I am planning on buying the fluids myself and taking it to a mechanic who my family have been using for a while and whom we trust and does good work.

My question is, how much in labor should I expect to pay, keeping in mind that I am supplying the fluids.

I have been doing research and I came up with about $75/hr for differential oil change.

I am assuming it might be more for both a differential and transfer case oil change.

Thanks in advance.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:32 am

About $10 if you do it yourself using one of these: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... 7CL3*16158

The labor for a shop to replace these fluids would vary widely depending on where you take it (dealer, nationwide chain, independent shop) so it would be hard to give any accurate information on a forum like this. Just call your family mechanic and ask them how much. If it's too much take it elsewhere or do it yourself.

The_Force

Postby The_Force » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:45 pm

deermjd wrote:The labor for a shop to replace these fluids would vary widely depending on where you take it (dealer, nationwide chain, independent shop) so it would be hard to give any accurate information on a forum like this. Just call your family mechanic and ask them how much. If it's too much take it elsewhere or do it yourself.
Thanks for the reply Deer.

I'd pay extra for our family mechanic to do it. Like I said, he does good work and he is someone our family trusts (In fact took my pathfinder to him to have the front axle/brakes changed and the oil change, routine stuff really) and now my Pathfinder is running great.

Finding a mechanic like this is like finding a needle in very very very tall haystack :)

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:24 am

Is there a DIY on these boards for changing the fluids?

It seems incredible easy to do if you had step by steps and a fluid pump.
I am assuming it might be more for both a differential and transfer case oil change.
In my experience, a dealership service department will charge you the book price and time for both service even though once the truck is on lift, they could do both at the same time.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Time to put the vehicle on the lift is regardless as a shop "should" be going by the labor time given in a labor guide, then multiply by the shop's labor rate per hour.

How to replace the fluids in the transfer case and diffs is relatively the same except for the type of fluid. Put a bucket under the drain plug. Remove the drain and fill plugs and clean them off (you'll need a 10mm hex socket and ratchet wrench). On the R51's, there are crush washers on the drain plugs which, by the manual, should be replaced. Reinstall the drain plug and fill to the bottom edge of the fill plug hole (vehicle should be level). Reinstall the fill plug and tighten. For the diffs, you can get Mobil or Walmart's Syntech full synthetic gear oils, 75W90, or other gear oil of your choosing that meets the specifications. The transfer case calls for Nissan type "D" ATF. Dexron III will work fine in the transfer case, but I choose to use Valvoline Maxlife ATF, which I also use in my transmission. The hard part of the job is getting the oil into the diff or transfer case due to a lack of room. This is where a fluid transfer pump makes it a lot easier!

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:01 pm

not sure if you've already gotten it done, but i'll check my receipt from when i got those 3 done a few months ago.

TheRude1

Postby TheRude1 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:57 pm

I use only Valvoline produts

Just DYI, more pride in it when done and much cheaper !

One cool thing about a vehicle as high as they are you dont need a lift to get under it

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:14 pm

I just picked up some Valvoline Maxlife ATF, tonight, at my local Advance Auto Parts. At $17.99 per gallon, it's tough to beat...so, I picked up two gallons! :)

TheRude1

Postby TheRude1 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:22 am

That is a good deal
And it never hurts to have extra

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:22 pm

TheRude1 wrote:That is a good deal
And it never hurts to have extra
The good thing about Maxlife is it works on so many vehicles. I have a Kia trans to service in a couple of weeks which calls for SPIII. I've used in a Mazda 5spd AT which requires the Mazda V ATF. There really aren't too many auto tranny applications that it doesn't work in! Great stuff!

Return to “General Automotive”