Clicking when switching air recirculation off

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

wert0542

Clicking when switching air recirculation off

Postby wert0542 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:46 pm

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE:

When I switch the air recirculation off there is a clicking sound. This same sound occurs at start up. It sounds like the exterior vent is not opening or is stuck.

I suspect a child may have put some change down the front defroster vent but am not certain.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:50 pm

A lot of the vents use electric actuators these days and it's not uncommon to have the plastic gear inside of the actuator wear and start to "skip," creating a "clicking" noise. Locate your fresh air vent actuator and watch it while you operate the recirc mode off and on and you'll probably find the problem.

wert0542

Postby wert0542 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:31 pm

I can see an arm to the right of the cabin air filter housing move as I switch from outside air to recirculation mode. It is down in outside mode & moves up when switching to recirculation mode. The clicking noise only occurs when in outside air mode (down). The noise sounds as it is coming more from the center of the dash than from this arm. Is this the only arm or is there another?

Return to “General Automotive”