My Speedometer Off???

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

pathfinderrider

My Speedometer Off???

Postby pathfinderrider » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:48 pm

A coupleof week's passed i was going down a HWY around 50MPH because that was the Speed Limit, i approach this sign that show's you what speed you are supossely driving at i notice it said 46- 47 i was wondering if there is something wrong with my speedometer or is it that these aren't the right tires for my truck, Pathfinder 2005 and what should be a good size to put on this truck i don't care if i spend a little more on gas i'm thinking some good tires for dirt, gravel and snow now that in California the snow should be comming soon so i want to take my family on a little trip to the Mountain's with snow.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:32 pm

If u try doing a search you will find many topics on this. Nissan used one speed calibration for the PF and used the SE Offroad because of its tire size. If u upgrade ur tires to 265/75r16 it will fix your speedo. USA law allows car manufactures to have a 3-7% leeway

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:47 pm

Captain wrote:If u try doing a search you will find many topics on this. Nissan used one speed calibration for the PF and used the SE Offroad because of its tire size. If u upgrade ur tires to 265/75r16 it will fix your speedo. USA law allows car manufactures to have a 3-7% leeway
Didn't know about the 3-7% leeway allowed in speedometers. I noticed my speedometer is off by 3 miles per hour. Wonder if that means the odometer is off also? Just did a road trip to Las Vegas, NV, about 256 miles one way and didn't see a single mile marker check sign the whole trip. First time I noticed these markers were no longer there, wonder how long they have been gone? I remember using the marker signs to check the speedometer and odometer on my cars years ago and never had one that was off the mark.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:10 pm

Calicajun wrote: Didn't know about the 3-7% leeway allowed in speedometers. I noticed my speedometer is off by 3 miles per hour. Wonder if that means the odometer is off also? Just did a road trip to Las Vegas, NV, about 256 miles one way and didn't see a single mile marker check sign the whole trip. First time I noticed these markers were no longer there, wonder how long they have been gone? I remember using the marker signs to check the speedometer and odometer on my cars years ago and never had one that was off the mark.
Everything will be off-trip, odo, DTE, etc. I think it should be illegal to allow a car to drive with a non-accurate speedo. This makes people believe they are getting better gas mileage than they actually are, and obviously makes them believe they are going 75mph when they really aren't.

Years ago, I could drop off my vehicle at a speedo/driveline shop and they would install a small metal enclosure with corrective gearing inside between the cable and the speedo. Had that done a number of times since I always tended to go with odd (non OEM) tire sizes on pretty much every car I owned. You'd think that in today's modern age, you could have the dealer simply reprogram the vehicle's CPU to calibrate for other than stock tires. I've found that is not the case with the Pathfinder. Not sure about any other modern vehicle.

Return to “General Automotive”