Buying Questions

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Calicajun

Buying Questions

Postby Calicajun » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:43 am

Hi,
I'm looking into buy a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder and have a couple of questions. First a bit of car buying history, started looking a Xterra back in November 2011, thought it was the car I wanted but the wife told me I was wrong :oops: . So we ended up with a Honda Pilot, more inside room but can only tow 3500 pounds (barely) and gets only 18-21 miles per gallon not towing and probably about 15 mpg towing. So we went back to look at the Xterra again this pass weekend and ended up test driving a Pathfinder and all I can say is WOW. The Pathfinder handled great, rides smooth, great visibility, enough room inside (cargo and 130lbs Rot, can't leave the dog at home) and power was there when needed (or when not needed :D ). The tow rating is 6000 lbs so it should pull the Trailmanor trailer (2800lbs and when towed is not as tall as the Pathfinder) with no problem.

I have three main questions, that I would like to here from owners not the dealers.
How does the Pathfinder do towing, power and handling?
What is the real world MPG, not towing and towing?
How well does the Pathfinder\Nissan hold up now days?

Thanks,
Craig

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:55 am

First off, good luck with your decision, I have a 2011 and love it.

When it comes to towing, there are a number of members that tow some very large trailers, it would be good to here from them. I tow an 18 foot boat and it weighs approx. 3500lbs not loaded plus about 500lbs for the trailer. Most times, I do not have to travel far, to get to where I want to launch. Every once and a while I drive an hour plus, to get somewhere further up the coast. Part of that highway has some long steep hills. I have had no problems towing and even pass other vehicles. Most of the time I do not even know I am towing.

One suggest, that I learned on this forum is about the Airlift 1000 or Firestone Coil-Rite 4166 rear spring air bags. They make a big difference in keeping the rear of the truck from sagging. No bouncing either. Geez, I think my last three posts I mention this...I don't work for the company that sells these...honest. It's just a really good modification to the Pathfinder.

Also, the pathfinder comes with a 4 pin electrical connection, I think the Pilot comes with a 7 pin. Again, a number of members have made the conversion from 4 to 7 pin. I only need a 4 pin, for my boat trailer.

As for gas milage, it really depends on where and how you drive. There are a number of posts, on this forum and the average seems to be 20+MPG Highway and 15MPG city. I have attached one link for you to take a look at. If you go to the search field, type in gas milage a number of other posts will show up. You can also type in Airlift 1000 or Coil Rite to read on this as well.

Latestly, how does the Pathfinder hold up these days? I assume you mean how reliable. All I can tell you is that mine is 18 months old and I haven't had one issue. Runs and looks great. The only thing that I would comment on is that the rear tailgate does not lift very high on its own, I have to push it up to the maximum height. This seems to be a common issue with Pathfinders, the strut does seem strong enough. That being said, the very resourceful members, of this forum have found better ones on line. You can search this topic too.

All said and done, I love my Pathfinder, it does everything I want it to and I do not mind the gas milage, even if my wife's car gets twice the milage the Pathy does.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... adb71d126f
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... 2f52648dea
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ght=#46876

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:38 pm

Oly22,
That is just the type of information I was looking for about the Pathfinder.

Thanks for the links also very good information there too.

Thanks again,
Craig

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:56 pm

No worries, just look through a many posts as you can, there is a lot of information here and a lot people with a lot of experience with the Pathfinder. There are a few mechanics to help with questions as well. I know, they have helped me a lot.

Good luck, keep us posted on your decision.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:24 pm

Sorry, just thought of one more thing. There is some play, in the tow arm receiver/hitch. You can move the tow arm right to left and up and down. The first time I towed my boat, I thought the boat came off the ball. There are anti rattle kits available, that solve this. I also learned about these on this forum. I bought mine at a dealer that sells Thule bike racks.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Oly 22 wrote: One suggest, that I learned on this forum is about the Airlift 1000 or Firestone Coil-Rite 4166 rear spring air bags. They make a big difference in keeping the rear of the truck from sagging. No bouncing either. Geez, I think my last three posts I mention this...I don't work for the company that sells these...honest. It's just a really good modification to the Pathfinder.

The only thing that I would comment on is that the rear tailgate does not lift very high on its own, I have to push it up to the maximum height. This seems to be a common issue with Pathfinders, the strut does seem strong enough.

2nd'd on the airlift. probably the best, cheapest and easiest mod you can do.

as for the tailgate, my '08 started doing that, almost wouldn't stay up in the cold. i replaced the struts with OEM ones from nissan (courtesyparts.com) and holy moly what a difference. takes quite a bit to pull it down to close now!

but now my rear glass struts are doing the same. i use the back -alot- and at like ~$10 each strut it's not a big deal to replace.

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:13 pm

Good information and tips. :)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:04 pm

The good thing about buying a 2012 is that being the last year of the model run, the early model "bugs" have been worked out! There are a lot of 2005-07 that are very unhappy with their R51's and for good reason! I was fortunate enough to purchase a very well maintained 06 LE and the previous owner had already fixed the "normal" problems associated witht he early R51's. One thing you didn't mention is whether you were looking at the V6 model or the V8. Both have good power, but the V8 has power and then some! The flip side to that is that the V8 can be a bit tough in the miles-per-gallon department. My 06 LE w/ AWD averages about 17.5 MPG, combined. I've learned going easy on the gas and using the cruise control really helps in saving fuel. Around town, that mileage dips into the 16 MPG range, but long, highway runs gets me into the 19.5-21.0 MPG range. I don't do much towing. The other day I towed a Honda Civic with a tow dolly and saw 16.5 MPG. If you are towing anything with weight, the Airlift 1000's will be the best money you can spend. I'm not sure if the 2012's improved on the shock package compared to the early R51's, but another common mod for them was upgrading the rear shocks to a monotube type (Bilstein HD's, Monroe Reflex).

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:09 am

Hi All,
Thought I should give an update to my post.

Bought a 2012 Pathfinder Silver Edition last night. Silver with black leather seats and a bunch of goodies I don't know how to use yet. I was surprised that the Silver edition doesn't come with the luggage rack cross bars and the inside rear cargo cover. I sure the parts department will be glad to help me out on buying extras for the car.

Thanks for the earlier replies, they did help us in making our new car choice. :)

Craig

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:22 am

unfortunately there's no rear cargo cover. my best guess is because of the 3rd row seating.

i did a retractable diy cover here: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=6925

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:10 pm

doctahjones wrote:unfortunately there's no rear cargo cover. my best guess is because of the 3rd row seating.

i did a retractable diy cover here: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=6925
WHAT the dealer miss lead me, well that has never happen to me before, right. Thought there would be a inside rear cargo cover because the car has molded groves in the side panels to accept one. Guess one panel fits all models. Will go with a something like your DIY idea for a cargo cover. We carry a lot of camera gear and feel safer leaving the gear in the car if it can't be seen.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Calicajun wrote:
doctahjones wrote:unfortunately there's no rear cargo cover. my best guess is because of the 3rd row seating.

WHAT the dealer miss lead me, well that has never happen to me before, right. Thought there would be a inside rear cargo cover because the car has molded groves in the side panels to accept one. Guess one panel fits all models. Will go with a something like your DIY idea for a cargo cover. We carry a lot of camera gear and feel safer leaving the gear in the car if it can't be seen.

yeah, you'd -think- since it has the molded areas -for- a cargo cover they would make one. for some reason they did not on the usa r51's. i think i saw somewhere that the euro versions have some foldable flap thing or something to cover.

and i'm with ya there, i carry alot of camera gear, not to mention my subs and stuff back there.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Congratulations on your new Pathfinder. Post some pictures so we can see your new ride. I am sure you will be happy with it. As for the rear cargo area cover, most car sales reps do not much about the vehicles they sell beyond the basics. Sorry, my opinion. I spent a bunch of time at the service and parts desk, before I bought mine, they are good guys to know and were quite helpful with my questions. The Australian Pathfinders have an option for the rear cargo cover. If you Google Pathfinders in Australia, you will end up finding it. They also have a few other options we can't get in North America, too bad, some would be nice to have. Next time my niece comes back to Canada, I will see if see will bring one on the plane with her. That is, if it is not too expensive.

Enjoy your ride.

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks for all the comments. Now to find time to go on a road trip.

gear1975

Postby gear1975 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:37 am

The Australian Pathfinders have an option for the rear cargo cover. If you Google Pathfinders in Australia, you will end up finding it.
They got some cool accessories down under!

http://www.nissanperfectfit.com.au/inde ... pathfinder

I'm liking the "cargo blind" and kickplates.

Return to “General Automotive”