Pathfinder maintenance quote

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Mr2005

Pathfinder maintenance quote

Postby Mr2005 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:31 am

I have a pathfinder 2007 with a 116,000 miles. My service center is advising on getting new spark plugs and new shocks ( these I know I need). I won't use the dealership after the radiator transmission issue.

Service center will do the plugs and shocks out the door for $1600. Does that seem reasonable? I figured the shocks would be pricey..... I was not prepared for the cost of the plugs.

Advice appreciated!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:42 am

The cost for parts is:

Spark plugs - $40
Shocks all around - $450

The rest is labour. I would say its not the highest quote I've ever seen, but you could probably do better.

What is their shop labour rate? If they go over their predicted hours, are you on the hook?

t

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:37 am

That's way too high. I would try to find a good independent shop to do the work rather than the dealer. I've changed the spark plugs and shocks on my Pathfinder and it's nothing special. Replacing the spark plugs is a tedious and rather time-consuming task on these engines so I can understand paying a premium to have those replaced. I too am interested in a breakdown of that estimate. How much for each job?

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:26 pm

Just FYI, it's not the shocks that are making that number so high, it's most certainly the plugs. The shocks could honestly be changed out in a matter of minutes at a service center that has all the tools but the plugs do take a couple of hours simply because of how hard they are to get to.

Anyway, $1600 is WAAAAY too high, please go get another quote or... even.. maybe... do it yourself for free.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:15 pm

I want to know who sells a set of spark plugs for $40? Cheapest original type NGK's I could find were $10 each!

That price does sound high. Try this site for an estimate:

www.repairpal.com/estimator

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Rockauto.com

They are listed at $5.23 each, so actually just over $30, i added a percentage.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:19 pm

disallow wrote:Rockauto.com

They are listed at $5.23 each, so actually just over $30, i added a percentage.
At Rockauto, I see "G-Powers" listed for $5.30 but those are 60,000 mile plugs. The original equipment plugs for 05-07 are the "Laser Platinums" which are listed for $9.73 and are 100,000 mile plugs. After 2007, Nissan went to the "Laser Iridiums" which run $14.77 per plug. Prices don't include shipping. I believe I picked my Laser platinums up at Advance Auto Parts for $9.99 ea. + tax.

gt4som

Postby gt4som » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:39 pm

1600 is insane for just plugs and shocks. Go get a better quote. I'd say maybe 8 to 900.

tlee_20

Postby tlee_20 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:47 pm

Ok a little off topic but trying to defend MY paycheck.

Did you have a bad experience with your dealer about your radiator? If not, why blame your dealer for the radiator issue? As a technician at a Nissan dealer, I have ZERO control over any manufacturing issue. Why take money out of my pocket for something I have no control over?

And if you did have a bad trip to the dealer, I apologize for being off base..

NOW back to the subject. IF you were in my shop here's how that would break down:

2.0 hours @ 89.18/hr for spark plug labor
3.0 hours @ 89.18/hr for shock labor
= 445.90 labor

13.00/ea for spark plugs
110.00/ea for shocks
= 518.00

total = 963.90

While you can find a great technician on the side to do the work, it is VERY hard to beat properly trained factory technicians. We see Nissans every day. We see ALL the common problems. We KNOW what to look for to make sure you won't have a future failure because we KNOW what common items fail. Sorry for the rant but the dealer is not your enemy.
Last edited by tlee_20 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:32 pm

tlee_20 wrote:
13.00/ea for spark plugs
110.00/ea for shocks
= 958.00 parts
Your parts total doesn't make sense.

This is why I do it myself! :)

tlee_20

Postby tlee_20 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:35 pm

holy sheet!! double tap with calculator...

FIXED previous post.. lol

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm

There are dealers that double tap the calculator on purpose! :)

tlee_20

Postby tlee_20 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:40 pm

opinions vary..

i know of some independent shops that charge different prices for men and women. there are cheaters/liars/crooks everywhere but that doesn't mean that ALL people are bad people..

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:30 pm

I worked for Nissan for 16 years for 3 different dealers and left as a Master Tech in 2003. I've also worked for a couple of independant shops. Over those years, I've learned the quality of service you receive from the technician has nothing to do with whether it's an independant shop or a certified dealer. True, a dealer will usually have all of the latest equipment and resources to fix a problem on one of their cars, but that's all useless if the person working on your car doesn't know how to use them. I've met a number of excellant technicians that work in auto dealerships, but I've also met a number that had no business calling themselves mechanics, let alone a dealer technician. The said can be said for the independant shops. I've met "mechanics" that have no business being anywhere near a car and a few that could stand their own against any of the best dealer techs I've known. The key is if you find a good technician, do your best to stick with him. Don't be afraid to request that a specific technician works on your vehicle if you've had good service from him.
My biggest complaint with a large number of dealer service departments (and a number of indpendants, as well) is how many of them try to get customers to dump hundreds of dollars into service work they don't really need. I'm talking about the oil flushes, transmission flushes, P/S flushes, brake fluid flushes, coolant flushes and the "anything else that can be flushed" flushes. This isn't the doing of the technician, but of greedy dealers and shops that are looking to fleece every dollar out of their customers' pockets! I'm not saying that these flushes are useless, but in my own experience I've known service writers (most of whom have little or no mechanical background) recommend oil flushes to people with under 15000 miles on their car and whom have had their oil & filter replaced every 3000-4000 miles. I can sympathize to some extent a dealer or shop's need to increase profits; the auto service industry, in general, has lost a lot of its business as newer cars require less service work. Spark plugs that used to be changed every 30000 miles now last 100000 miles. Some vehicles no longer have fuel filters to service and some Ford Focus' don't even have a serviceable air filter (you have to replace the whole air box). Long-life coolants and synthetic oils increase the service intervals. Timing belts are becoming less common as timing chains are once again becoming more common. Even drive belts, now made with EDPM, can last 70000-plus miles. Furthermore, for the dealer tech, warranty in terms of mileage and years continue to increase; dealer techs who work on a flat rate hour get paid far less for warranty work than they do for retail work. I give any good technician, dealer or independant, a whole lot of credit as it's not an easy way to make a living, especially when you have to purchase tools and constantly keep up with the changes in technology, which are now expanding into hybrid and all-electric vehicles and may be including hydrogen or alternative fueled vehicles and 42 volt electrical systems in the very near future. I'm glad to be out of it as a primary occupation!

tlee_20

Postby tlee_20 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:47 am

I completely agree. I know some independent techs that can fix any car any time any problem. I know some dealer techs who can't fix a ham sandwich. For the most part if you have a valid technical concern, it will find it's way into the hands of a qualified tech at your local dealer. I am the only master tech at my dealer. I fix 99% of all problem cars that come in. ALL electrical problems. ALL evap/emission related problems. It's a tough gig to be pulled off of something to fix a trouble car but I know that when i'm done with it, it is going to be fixed. I take great pride in my work and I have great attention to detail (OCD if you will)... So it pains me to hear people bash the dealer and avoid it like the plague. I have to make a living like everyone else.

Like previously stated.. IF you find a great technician, stick with him. If you like his quality of work, request him when you come to the dealer. Make sure he touches your car and nobody else. You build a relationship between the tech and your car. He knows your car, he knows what has been done, he knows what to keep an eye on. He will take care of it!!

Return to “General Automotive”