What to do with an old alternator?

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

The_Force

What to do with an old alternator?

Postby The_Force » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:42 pm

I just had my alternator replaced and I asked my mechanic if he could take my old one to recycle. He said yes, but he ended up giving me back my old one (Which I don't mind at least they are honest).

But now, what do I do with it? I bought it off ebay and not at a parts store, so I know I will not get a core charge at all.

Should I look for a shop that specializes in remanufacturing alternators or do I have other options?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:11 pm

What was wrong with it? If its just brushes, you could probably get it rebuilt for pretty cheap and resell it. However, if it was the regulator or rectifier, then I'd get scrap value, the copper on the coil should be worth a couple bucks, like maybe $2-5.

I did this myself on my wife's 87 prelude. The brushes were shot so I soldered some new ones in. Got them for $2 from the local independent electrical shop.

Or keep it on the shelf in case you ever need to replace again.

t

The_Force

Postby The_Force » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:49 pm

disallow wrote:What was wrong with it? If its just brushes, you could probably get it rebuilt for pretty cheap and resell it. However, if it was the regulator or rectifier, then I'd get scrap value, the copper on the coil should be worth a couple bucks, like maybe $2-5.

I did this myself on my wife's 87 prelude. The brushes were shot so I soldered some new ones in. Got them for $2 from the local independent electrical shop.

Or keep it on the shelf in case you ever need to replace again.

t
Not sure...all I know is my bad one caused all sorts of warning lights to light up on my dash that didn't light up before :lol:

As far as rebuilding it myself, I wouldn't know what I am doing. I am not a mechanically inclined person...so it looks like scrapping it may be the best option for me.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:24 pm

Look up A1cardone, not sure spelling. They do lots of reman work and they might give you some money for a core.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:13 am

You could also check with a local auto electric shop that rebuilds starters and alternators.

Return to “General Automotive”