decisions.....

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

mikeb213

decisions.....

Postby mikeb213 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm

Hey guys I am looking for a pathfinderand need guidance. I have been looking for 95-99 . I need something that I can drive daily for work yet be able to point it at the trails if I want. I have seen transmission warnings everywhere but would like more info. Can we debate pros and cons of both models? Auto or stick? My uncle had a 95 maxima and it was great he had it forever and it was zippy. It was a very impressive car as I am hoping a pathfinder would be. Can you help me narrow it all down?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:52 am

The vintage of PF you are looking at doesn't have the transmission issue. There are other issues, something about a screw that comes loose and falls into the intake. Not sure what else, SMJ could probably shed some light on it.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:12 am

Well, 1995 is a WD21 model and 96-99 are R50 models. The R50's had a unibody frame, unlike the WD21 and later R51. The power valve screw issue didn't occur until later R50 models with the VQ35DE engine; from 96 through 2000, the R50 had the VG33E engine. The two engines are apples and oranges, so to speak. The VG33E is a timing belt engine that wasn't very powerful nor very good on fuel mileage, but was very reliable and not too bad to work on, overall. It's based off the VG30 engines that powered the Z31 300ZX and ol' U11 Maximas of the mid-80's. If you want "zippy," you'd be a lot happier with the timing chain VQ35DE powered R50's from 2001-2003. It had 70 more horsepower than the VG33E and was a little better on fuel mileage. Some did have the problem of power valve screws dropping into the engine due to lack of thread sealant on those screws from the factory. The VQ35DE seemed to be a little less reliable, having issues with coil failures, catalytic converters and/or catalytic converter efficiency trouble codes, valve timing actuators and/or sensors, cam and crank sensors and a few had issues with oil burning.
As far as the rest of the vehicle, rust issues at the bottom of the strut towers have forced Nissan to issue a recall. Rear suspension link bushing failure is very common, causing the vehicle to wander all of the road when they are worn or split; there are polyeurethane bushings on the market, I believe. Airbag control unit failure and TPS failure wasn't unheard of, either.

Return to “General Automotive”