Transmission Oil Change!

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Blue Devil's Path

Transmission Oil Change!

Postby Blue Devil's Path » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:42 pm

Whats going on guys! I just have a question on my 07 path LE. I bought this vehicle January 2012 last year and it was sitting at 97,000 plus miles. Since then I've been always on top of my maintenance until I decided to change the transmission oil. Now, I dont know if the previous owner did that and it doesnt say in the carfax if the trans oil have ever been changed out. I called the dealer and they told me its better to not change the oil out and to just leave it until it breaks. Is there a reason for this or is the guy just bull sh****
me? How can I go about changing out the old fluid for new? If I can, where and what oil can I get for the transmission?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:47 pm

I've heard both arguments.

The reason the dealer said to wait, is sometime when the fluid has not been changed, and then you perform a flush, it can dislodge clumps that can then get stuck in the lines or in your transmission and cause damage.

However I've also heard, just changing the fluid and not doing the flush will be fine and won't cause any problems.

It all boils down to what you want to do. I don't think you will get a clear cut answer as there will be arguments to both sides of the fight.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:33 pm

drain and fill is fine. Don't do a flush.

tlee_20

Postby tlee_20 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:27 pm

What is this "flush" you guys speak of??

Transmission service machines of the modern day don't "flush" the transmission. Most of them don't have any source of pressure except the front pump in your transmission. I have used several different machines with the same results from all. Clean fluid is the end result.

These machines hook up in line with your radiator trans cooler. Disconnect one line. Hook one side up to the radiator, other side to the disconnected line. Now you just add new fluid to the machine and start your car. your transmission does the rest. Using the pressure from your front pump, it pushes the old fluid into the trans fluid EXCHANGE machine. As old fluid enters the machine, new fluid exits. Again, using the same pressure. Not forcing new fluid with 110psi. When the new fluid runs out, you stop the car. Unhook the lines and check proper fluid level. That's it!!

Don't be afraid to take it to a dealer to have the trans fluid exchanged. You can buy fluid for $10-20 per quart depending on the fluid type OR your dealer can exchange it with up to 12 quarts for $199 (give or take)...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:22 pm

I do a drain and fill every 30000 miles. Nissan's maintenance table instructs to inspect fluid every 15000 miles (basically meaning replace it when it looks dirty). The trans takes Nissan Type "S" ATF, which is really just Castrol Multi-import ATF in a Nissan bottle. Valvoline Maxlife ATF also works and is my choice. THere are a couple more that are compatable, but those are the most common. It'll take up to 4 qts. during a drain and filll.

Return to “General Automotive”