2000 Nissan Pathfinder (AUTO) Shifting Problems...

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

kyle2090

2000 Nissan Pathfinder (AUTO) Shifting Problems...

Postby kyle2090 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Hey guys, a while ago my car started acting funny. In third gear arounc 60-70km/h I would step on the gas, and no power. Then after a while my 3rd gear stopped working. Then 4th gear. I only get 1st and second gear and I have brought it to 5+ different shops and they have scanned it and no codes show up.

If i am in drive, say going around 60, i am in 2nd gear and my RPM's are around 3500. Now, if i take my foot off the gas the RPM's drop to 750-1000 and I only can accellerate if i bring them back up to 3500 and it will "connect" back up and go faster.

If i stay in 2nd gear i get power no matter what, even if i take my foot off the gas my RPM's stay where they are.

I took it to a tranny shop and they said that the fluid was brown and burnt and needed a rebuild. I drive it on the highway to school around 4000-4500 rpm's in 2nd gear and i dont have money to replace the transmission.

This has been going on for 5 months now and I check the transmission fluid every week and its pink and is perfectly fine so its clear the shop had no idea what was wrong and tried to take advantage of me.

Recently i have been researching some problems and came across the throttle position sensor. I bought a voltmeter, measured it to be

0.23 volts with no throttle
3.8 volts at wide open throttle

I also measured the resistance of the same terminals and found
0.3 kohms no throttle
1.2 kohms wide open throttle

Ive already had it replaced and it did nothing but i am pretty sure these values are bad and the shop just used my old one and didnt replace anything (ripping me off)

Is it worth it to buy one for 100 bucks from napa and replace it myself? what do you guys think?

thanks!

kyle

Return to “General Automotive”