Hesitation going into fears when cold.

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

2537buzz

Hesitation going into fears when cold.

Postby 2537buzz » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:47 am

Hi guys. I am new to the Pathfinder and to the forum, but have always loved the older Pathfinder body. I recently purchased an 04 LE Platinum Pathy. One owner car, clean car fax and in mint condition with many new replacement maintenance items such as, new struts, new exhaust an muffler, new breaks, new $900 tires, wheel bearings and rear shocks. Only thing needed was an oil change that was due. However, my husband had the transmission flushed, and a tune up. It had 105,000 miles on it and service said tune up is due. The Pathy had just been traded in the night before on a new Pathfinder. I picked it up for $8,000, I think it was a good deal?

Now my question is this, in the morning when it is cold (It has been really cold here in NJ) it seems to hesitate going into gears, 2nd and 3rd. Until it warms up which is about five minutes of driving. Now, the service guy that dis the trans flush and tune up said it is because the fluid is thick and needs to warm up and it is normal for this. If I start the truck, put it in neutral (read this online from someone else having the same issue) and let it warm up first while in neutral it runs fine, no issues with the gears. Any input if this is normal for an older truck. Other the that the truck runs perfect and is absolutely mint, flawless, and looks new so being it is in that condition and so many maintenance items were replaced and clean car fax, one owner I would assume it was well maintained giving no reason for a trans issue at only 105,000 miles. I have seen these trucks get easy 250,000. Thanks for any input you can give. Elaine

2537buzz

Postby 2537buzz » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:48 am

Lol meant to write hesitation going into gears when cold. Damn ipad. Lol.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:35 am

Any chance the fluid was replaced with Dexron III? Nissan recommends using Dexron III ATF for topping off the trans fluid, but not for complete servicing; there was a TSB on the issue that says the Dexron III can cause valve body sticking. The original ATF installed from the factory is Nissan Type "D" ATF. It is essentially the original Dexron formula. Dexron and Dexron II have a thinner viscosity than Dexron III. So, when doing a trans service, it is best to stick with genuine Nissan ATF or and aftermarket ATF that is "recommended for use in Dexron II applications." Those include Valvoline Maxlife ATF, Castrol Multi-import ATF and Amsoil ATF.

2537buzz

Postby 2537buzz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:00 am

Thanks smj. I am not sure. I would have assumed the shop would have known what to use but I will check. My dad's friend is a Nissan Tech and is going to come by tomorrow to take it out for a ride. He just said do not start or use it, leave it cold so he can see. He originally looked it over for me before I bought it. His dealership took it in on a trade the night before. Than you again.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:09 am

Mine does not like shifting smoothly from 2nd to 3rd when cold. No amount of idling has ever changed that. So, I have to left off on the gas right before it shifts from 2nd to 3rd to keep things smooth, otherwise it will shift real harsh/jerk-like.

I know others have mentioned similar experiences here. Totally normal behavior for some of our pathfinders.

Return to “General Automotive”