cruise control switch replacement

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

sdg1963

cruise control switch replacement

Postby sdg1963 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:02 pm

The "set" button on my steering column isnt work and I am wondering what the process is to replace this piece. Also where would I find the part? The prospect of removing the steering wheel freaks me out, so I am wondering if this is a quick fix/DIY-type job.

This is my first posting, I am a new member and welcome and appreciate any advice/suggestions.

thanks!!

2008 Pathfinder SE with control on both sides of steering wheel (radio controls/cruise control, etc.)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:51 pm

You can get the part from Nissan. I doubt that it's available on the aftermarket. You don't need to remove the steering wheel. The panel is held in with clips. You "might" have to remove the horn/air bag module, but I can't remember.

sdg1963

cruise switch replacement

Postby sdg1963 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:18 am

thanks, I got a lead from another member here. the link for the part is:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/25550na-sw ... cPath=6833&

looks like an easy fix.

cheers.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:25 am

Looks like you do have to remove the air bag module seeing the screw holes in the finisher. You should disconnect the battery for ten minutes before you start working on it. The problem with that is you could erase the idle air volume learned in the ECM or the steering wheel position sensor setting. Point the wheels straight ahead before disconnect the battery; when you reconnect the battery and start the vehicle, the VDC light may be on. As you drive, it should turn off. If it doesn't, you'll need a scantool to perform the steering wheel position sensor relearn.

sdg1963

Postby sdg1963 » Sun May 18, 2014 10:10 pm

So today I took on this undertaking. Got the part from courtesyparts.com and did the installation. Everything went well, I used comments/advice from forum members and a few Youtube videos and the removal and installation was a snap. But then when I turned the key and was about to take a test run, I noticed something - the controls weren't working correctly. When i engaged the POWER ON for the radio, the damn horn went off, nothing worked correctly. The cruise control light was on and i couldn't disengage it. What the...

Luckily this was all discovered while still in the driveway, so I removed the airbag again, and took a look at the part I had installed. The wiring was connected correctly - only three plugs to plug in and out, so it wasn't my error. Then I noticed the wires in the two parts were different. The new one had less wires, and I knew that was the problem. Arg!

So needless to say I need to return it, and find the correct one. Darn!

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon May 19, 2014 9:38 am

sdg1963 wrote:When i engaged the POWER ON for the radio, the damn horn went off, nothing worked correctly.
Hate it when you spend quality time on something only to find out you have the wrong part. While this would normally annoy me, if I were in your situation I'd probably be laughing my ass off the second I tried the radio on button only to set off the horn. Hopefully Courtesy will rectify the situation.

sdg1963

Postby sdg1963 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:26 pm

BIG disappointment from Courtesyparts.com. Their website clearly states that the part was for my vehicle, but it was for the US models only. They wont take it back because I've "installed" it. So now I have a useless part for which I paid full price, and duties and taxes. I've purchased electrical items from CARID.com and have sent parts back, even after installing them, with no issues. Caveat Emptor, friends.

Return to “General Automotive”