RCA Audio connections question's

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

blink32
Sponsored Member

RCA Audio connections question's

Postby blink32 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:51 am

So I'm wondering if someone can help. I must not be phrasing my search questions correctly as I am unable to find the answer for myself on the internet. Maybe someone else more knowledgeable in the audio world can tell me if the parts I'm looking for are even available.

Going along with my AAI-NIS2 install I want to hard mount 2 types (3 total individual jacks) of connections in my pathfinder. The NIS2 has 2 sets of Aux RCA female jacked inputs. Rather than leave wires hanging or tucked away somewhere I would like (if possible) to mount 1 set of RCA inputs and one 3.5mm / 1/8" stereo jack lower down on the passenger side of the center console. To make this as easy as possible I would like to use a non-solder female-female rca pass through plug that was built to be panel mounted (has threads and a nut that screws down holding it in place. The same goes for the 1/4" stereo plug. I would also accept a converter that went from male RCA to Female panel mount RCA on about a 6" or greater cable. Or a converter taking 2 rca into 1 1/4" stereo plug that was panel mount.

So far I have been able to find the panel mount RCA jacks, but they have all needed soldering on the rear. And I don't think I have found a panel mount 1/4" stereo plug yet. If soldering is what I have to do then I guess its what I have to do. I was just hoping there was a plug and play version out there. I'm going to stop by a Radio Shack today and lunch and have a look around.

Or whatever ideas you guys have. If I have to have wires I just tuck away neatly then so be it, but I'd definitely rather have 3 jacks I can plug directly into as long as I find a suitably strong location and reinforce it.

Blink
Last edited by blink32 on Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:51 am

I may have at-least partially answered this myself, albit it not the correct way. The Gold Series Wall Plates radio shack carries have the mountable non-solder RCA pass-through I'm looking for. I just have to unscrew them from the plate. At $14 each place (3 jacks) its not cheap, but if I can't find the individual jacks I'll make due.

And I meant to say I'm looking for 1/8" plugs, not the big 1/4" in my first post.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:22 am

Its slow at work and I'm bored. If this picture helps any. I want something like this but female RCA on both sides, with fewer threads on the back side.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:45 pm

Well I have answered 50% of my own question. I was able to find Leviton part number 40830 at Home Depot. There are several sub-parts for Ivory, White and stripe color, but that part number will get you in the neighborhood. I used 40830-A being the white ones. Just unscrewed them from the quick connect port mounts. These will do nicely. Now to find a reliable company who makes a cable with male rca on one end and a plate mount 1/8" stereo plug on the other.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:10 am

Hey Blink32, Home depot has a whole electronics section. Lowes does also. Those wall plate adapters aren't cheap, but you could try and cut a whole to mount the plastic piece. You can paint it to match the dash. You might be better off going to the Shack, since they have everything you are looking for, usually for cheaper.

rlh2005

Postby rlh2005 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:45 am

You might have luck looking in the mobile install areas of Best Buy, Circuit City, or Tweeter or even a local car audio shop.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:07 am

I ended up getting those Leviton plugs from HD. For the price of one Radio Hack wall plate (3 rca plugs counting the yellow one) I got 4 RCA's in Red & Black. Now I found a company that makes the other cable I want but just need to find reviews on them and see if I can find it elsewhere for cheaper.

Local stereo shops around me are complete BS. I wouldn't trust any of them with your grandma's friend's cousin's great uncle's car. :-/

Here's a pic of the cable I'm looking for:

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”