Head unit install

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

HillbillyJake

Head unit install

Postby HillbillyJake » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:08 pm

I just installed a new head unit in the Pathy. I up graded from the stock non Bose to the Sony CDX-GT640UI. the install was very easy. I took a couple of pics of the install. (please excuse the mess. I have horses and the hay and the dirt gets everywhere and it has been to cold to clean out the truck.)

first disconnect the negative battery cable.

next just pop off the trim ring around the cup holders

next hit the shift lock button and drop the gearshift into 2nd gear and pop off the panel around the gearshift. disconnect the wires and set aside

then pop out the coin tray

take out the phillips head screw underneath

then pop off the panel around the radio with the vents and just slide it down and out of the way. I did that so i did not have to disconnect any thing dealing with the airbag light. the wires are long enough.

next take out the four phillips head screws that hold in the radio and unplug the wires and remove it.

plug in all of your connections. install the new stereo using the four screws that held in the oem unit. and reinstall the panels in the reverse order.

re-hook up the battery and drive a block ot get the VDC light to go out and enjoy.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:44 pm

Was there supposed to be a cover on the faceplate for the space below the radio? Looks a little weird with a gaping hole in the dash. I'm sure it sounds better though.

lsmith9523

Postby lsmith9523 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:13 am

boogyman wrote:Was there supposed to be a cover on the faceplate for the space below the radio? Looks a little weird with a gaping hole in the dash. I'm sure it sounds better though.
When you install a single din headunit, the mounting kit includes a "pocket" below the headunit. The pocket is there to utilize the space and "fill-in" the unused area. It's great to hold remote's, ipod's or various items that will fit. When you install a double-din unit, the pocket is not used,,in fact, the whole mounting kit is not needed, for you can use the OEM brackets to mount the headunit and use the trim ring that comes with said unit. I think the ^^^above installation looks great and the ipod/cellphone cable is within reach....prop's!!

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:51 pm

thanks. the hole is supposed to be there. I store the remotes for the stereo and the Siruis unit. the stereo sounds great with the stock speakers. my next step is going to be an amp for a single 12" sub that I have. then the door and dash speakers.

2008PatherfinderS

Postby 2008PatherfinderS » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:37 am

Thanks a bunch for this. I'm installing a new head unit in my 08 with non-BOSE stock radio later this week. While I have a service manual, your pictures are certainly more informative.

Steve

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:43 pm

does anybody have their new head unit linked to the steering wheel controls? is this a plug and play thing?

lsmith9523

Postby lsmith9523 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:09 pm

guinnessjim wrote:does anybody have their new head unit linked to the steering wheel controls? is this a plug and play thing?
I am sure PAC makes the adapt. that will intergrate your steer controls.

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:33 pm

I ordered everything from Crutchfield and they have the plug and play adapters for the steering wheel controls

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:35 am

lsmith9523 wrote:I am sure PAC makes the adapt. that will intergrate your steer controls.
HillbillyJake wrote:I ordered everything from Crutchfield and they have the plug and play adapters for the steering wheel controls
cool...thx guys

2008PatherfinderS

Postby 2008PatherfinderS » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:50 pm

Using your pictures and instructions posted here, I was able to easily install my Alpine IVA-W505 into my 08 S Pathfinder non-bose system. Here are three pictures from the finished project. Sorry about the glare, the sun is rather bright today.

IPOD SCREEN:

DVD SCREEN:

TOGGLES SWITCHES TO BYPASS VIDEO AND SETTINGS LOCKOUT:

Steve

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:01 am

looks good

lsmith9523

Postby lsmith9523 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:20 pm

2008PatherfinderS wrote:Using your pictures and instructions posted here, I was able to easily install my Alpine IVA-W505 into my 08 S Pathfinder non-bose system. Here are three pictures from the finished project. Sorry about the glare, the sun is rather bright today.

IPOD SCREEN:

DVD SCREEN:

TOGGLES SWITCHES TO BYPASS VIDEO AND SETTINGS LOCKOUT:

Steve
Steve,

Your install looks really good. I installed the same headunit using the factory brackets. But, I used a dremel and was able to recess the headunit to fit almost flush with the bezel. Also, instead of using the toggle by-pass, I installed the PAC TR-7 which does the bypass automatic when you turn the key in the ignition. Do you plan to futher your audio install?

Props,,

Pat

2008PatherfinderS

Postby 2008PatherfinderS » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:15 pm

Steve,

Your install looks really good. I installed the same headunit using the factory brackets. But, I used a dremel and was able to recess the headunit to fit almost flush with the bezel. Also, instead of using the toggle by-pass, I installed the PAC TR-7 which does the bypass automatic when you turn the key in the ignition. Do you plan to futher your audio install?

Props,,

Pat
I did the toggles as a temp solution. I plan to get a PAC bypass. I can get replacement blanks for the console where I put the switches at from my local Nissan dealer.

As for upgrades, I plan to install some alpine speakers in the doors and at some point an amp and subwoofer.

As for the install of the head unit, the factory brackets only lined up to one hole on each side of the Alpine HU so I installed it like that. I wasn't able to use the trim ring that came with the alpine.

Steve

lsmith9523

Postby lsmith9523 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:36 pm

2008PatherfinderS wrote:
Steve,

Props,,

Pat
I did the toggles as a temp solution. I plan to get a PAC bypass. I can get replacement blanks for the console where I put the switches at from my local Nissan dealer.

As for upgrades, I plan to install some alpine speakers in the doors and at some point an amp and subwoofer.

As for the install of the head unit, the factory brackets only lined up to one hole on each side of the Alpine HU so I installed it like that. I wasn't able to use the trim ring that came with the alpine.

Steve
Steve,

My factory brackets lined up the exact same way..."only one hole"...I used a dremel, marked the bracket and drilled another hole on each side. That way,,,there are two screws holding the headunit in place. If you decide to drill the mounting hole,,,use a ruler and mark the bracket holes back about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. This will allow your headunit mount almost flushed with the bezel.

Keep me posted on when you install your amp and sub. I am thinking about doing the same thing, but would like to read other's thoughts about amp location/sub location. How do you like your W-505 so far?

2008PatherfinderS

Postby 2008PatherfinderS » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:29 pm

lsmith9523 wrote:
2008PatherfinderS wrote:
Steve,

Props,,

Pat

Steve
Steve,

My factory brackets lined up the exact same way..."only one hole"...I used a dremel, marked the bracket and drilled another hole on each side. That way,,,there are two screws holding the headunit in place. If you decide to drill the mounting hole,,,use a ruler and mark the bracket holes back about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. This will allow your headunit mount almost flushed with the bezel.

Keep me posted on when you install your amp and sub. I am thinking about doing the same thing, but would like to read other's thoughts about amp location/sub location. How do you like your W-505 so far?
Loving the head unit. I got it so I could play Apple Lossless with my ipod classic. One of the few HU's that will do this.

Steve

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”