Navigation Question

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

donmigga83

Navigation Question

Postby donmigga83 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:30 am

I dont know if anyone will be able to answer this for me but I will give it a shot. Does anyone know the model(s) number for the Navigation unit in a 2006 Pathfinder LE. I am becoming interested in having Navigation and just wanted to see what the difference between the Nissan Nav and a third part nav would be. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Fri May 25, 2007 5:54 am

The main difference is that you can add extras onto an after market navigation unit easier. The cost will be about the same. Although you have some functionality from the Nissan unit to adjust certain settings in the Pathfinder. Page 76 of the AV section of the manual tells the vehicle settings you can adjust. The manual is in the FAQ I think or you can download it from phatg20.net. The little bit of functionality lost with the after market is gained back with versatility.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri May 25, 2007 7:04 am

I agree with Boogy. The single biggest draw back (to me) is the lack of outputting your NAV audio through the Stock stereo system without additional modifications. Of course this is negated if you already have an aftermarket head unit as most have an aux input.

But like I said, there are ways around the pitfalls of after-market GPS. I personally have an 06 with NAV but I installed an AAI-NIS2 for the auxillary inputs for other devices. If you went with something like a Garmin Nuvi 660 you'd be hooked up like a new Pathfinder, GPS, speaking street names etc, BLUETOOTH!!!!, and built in mp3 player. Buddy of mine uses the nuvi's built in mic, feeds the line out into his stereo and uses the bluetooth to hook up to his phone and it sounds good in his car with the caller over the stereo.

If I were to do it over again (and probably will in the future) I'd go one step further and add a different type of input device from PAC Audio that gives me video inputs so I could hook up a backup camera and have it display on the stock lcd screen. Although I have no idea how it would look in your case as I believe the NAV and Non-NAV screens are different. I think the nav are full color and the non-nav are green screens only.

If I had to do it all over again, I still would have purchased a Pathy with NAV already. I would rather lose minor functionality (minor being the key word) but gain integration and aesthetics.

Long post, I know, I like to ramble. Sorry I'm not actually able to answer the part numbers question. I believe you'll need a new lcd screen, the controller under the pax seat, the cabling and possibly a new head unit.

donmigga83

Postby donmigga83 » Fri May 25, 2007 7:36 am

Thanks for the info! I do have another question then. Does anybody have any idea what the cost of the Nissan Navigation stuff would be (I believe your correct on the screen, gps unit thing, and a new dvd player deal). Obviously this is going to be far more expensive than an aftermarket one but I was just curious.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri May 25, 2007 7:53 am

I believe it was a $1200 factory option in 06. But thats probably accounting for "trading in" the non-nav stuff. I would venture a wild guess to say something around 2k for parts. Some of which could be recouped by selling your factory non-nav junk. I know just the DVD with maps is around $260 from the manu/supplier.

fernando

Postby fernando » Fri May 25, 2007 10:43 am

but can you add a nav system to a path that you allready buy or it has to come from the factory allready install i'm talking about the nissan system

donmigga83

Postby donmigga83 » Fri May 25, 2007 12:36 pm

Sweet thanks for all the information. I do appreciate it. This is an awesome community here!

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri May 25, 2007 9:10 pm

fernando wrote:but can you add a nav system to a path that you allready buy or it has to come from the factory allready install i'm talking about the nissan system
Thats pretty much what we're discussing. It wouldn't be very hard to get the parts from Nissan. Just the $$$$$$ for it makes it not that appealing.

donmigga83

Postby donmigga83 » Sat May 26, 2007 7:33 am

I hadn't done much research on it, but didn't realize that doing the Nissan Nav was 2 to 4 times what it would probably cost to get an after market one. Has anybody had any experience with a garmin streetpilot c550. Thanks for your insight everyone.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue May 29, 2007 8:34 am

There are several good sites with test and forums for discussion of gps units. http://gpspassion.com/fr/default.asp?_S ... Version=EN is one of the best I've found.

vwpower

Postby vwpower » Tue May 29, 2007 10:04 am

Anybody install one of these PAC Audio AAI-NIS2 on a 2007? Is there any difference between 2006 & 2007? I have a 2007 Path with Bose (no nav) and would like to add a monitor and DVD player to my factory radio. :roll:

hpc3

It will likely cost a ton more to add an OEM unit/parts to a

Postby hpc3 » Tue May 29, 2007 12:00 pm

non-Nav Pathy. You'll need to change the AC controller, panels, dash, CD changer, etc... think the option was ~$1600 on our 2007 so we passed on it. The thing I really wanted was the LCD console(coming from a Quest with this, no nav). I'd love to just have the monitor in our '07, don't need/use the Nav features but would rather have the AC display, TPS monitor/values, radio/CD data, etc, displayed on the one screen. Also the wife wanted the screen to be able to flip chapters for the DVD as well(I'd hotwire it in, speed sensor disable switch as well).

It looks like the 2008s are coming with a "RearView Monitor," even on the non-Nav equipped(SE, SE/OR, LE) so guess I'll see what that looks like and maybe attempt something at that point. Otherwise there is the DDIN space on mine/yours that can host a ton of stuff there if needed. You can wire in the AUX/DVD feeds from the car harness with relative ease I would assume. I may go this route on ours eventually... I may look at a V8 Pathy for me as well =-)

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”