Need Handheld GPS Advice

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

richardekirby

Need Handheld GPS Advice

Postby richardekirby » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm looking to get one and I was wondering what you guys may have. I'm looking to spend between $150-$200. I've been looking at the Garmin etrex Venture and Legend. The Legend seems to have a better features.

Anybody got some input?

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:18 pm

do you need a city map on it, or just for storing waypoints ?

check out Garmin 60CSx

fat_frog

Postby fat_frog » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:27 pm

Yeah... What are you going to use if for?

I have Legend HCx, and use it for hiking, backpacking, and Search & Rescue. I only have topo maps loaded to it. Reception is great, and battery life is good even though I use rechargables.

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:22 am

I have the Venture HC that i use for geocaching and hiking. the thing works perfectly for it. I ordered a refurbished one off of Amazon because they have the same warranty thru Garmin that a new one has. I carry a compass on my backpack so having that feature did not matter to me.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:56 am

mar1 wrote:check out Garmin 60CSx
Probably the best unit ever released by Garmin. For $100-$200 more, the updated version of this, the 62 series, would be my first choice.

It really depends on what you want to use it for. I currently have a Colorado, and I only purchased it because Garmin finally offered the necessary storage. I have the following loaded on mine: Topo USA, National Parks West, Central & East, City Navigator North America, City Navigator Europe, City Navigator Australia, a free New Zealand mapset (just like City Navigator), a super high resolution custom topo map of Utah, Nevada & Colorado, and a few other custom maps I created. I use mine mounted in the car while driving on trips. Not because I need to know where I'm going, but because I like to know where I am, how far it is to somewhere, what might be off the road in the area, etc. Relying on it strictly for driving purposes (directions) will never happen with me. I also use mine all the time while hiking, backpacking, riding mountain bikes & backcountry skiing. Again, it just depends on what you need it for.

Had I owned one of the older models with no memory, such as the 60CSx, I would be extremely limited as to what I could put on it. So, for myself, storage was one of the key requirements when I bought mine. The other was reception. The 60 & 62 series are the best in this regard, and are also the most durable & rugged. Battery life was another consideration, and most of them vary from model to model by a large margin. Also, sorry to say, Garmin bites. Delorme has an updated unit out now that I'd probably look at first. The problem with Garmin is that all of the their products, and I'm only talking hand-helds here (don't know a thing about their car products), have been riddled with software bugs.

Here's a great site to look at:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:59 am

Thanks for the input.

I'm wanting one for hiking and four wheeling (off-road).

I'll have to check out the Garmin 62 series. I saw some of them on Ebay and did not pay much attention to them since they were older models. I've also looked at some of the Delorme models, but they tend to be more pricey. It seems most of the reviews I have read on the Garmins slam them for inaccuracy. One guy said he was hiking over a quarter mile from a lake and it showed he was in the lake.

richardekirby

Re: Need Handheld GPS Advice

Postby richardekirby » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:55 pm

richardekirby wrote:I'm looking to get one and I was wondering what you guys may have. I'm looking to spend between $150-$200. I've been looking at the Garmin etrex Venture and Legend. The Legend seems to have a better features.

Anybody got some input?
Well, we ordered a Garmin Colorado 400t today. It appears to have most of the features that I'm looking for and the price was ok. I can't wait to get it and check it out. Thanks for all of your imput.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Need Handheld GPS Advice

Postby NVSteve » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:48 am

richardekirby wrote: Well, we ordered a Garmin Colorado 400t today. It appears to have most of the features that I'm looking for and the price was ok. I can't wait to get it and check it out. Thanks for all of your imput.
That's the one I have now. I'd be happy to answer any questions when you get it & start fiddling with it.

skycop56

GPS

Postby skycop56 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:44 pm

I love my Garmin Nuvi. I use a stick on piece of Velcro and attach it to the dash so it is very close and visible. The large screen works great and is easy to read. Cost me about $145 last year so should be cheaper now.

reinaldo

GPS

Postby reinaldo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:34 am

I hope this one is helpful to you because I'm using this one.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/compasses-and- ... j1s17.jcwx

TnLoneWolf

OEM dash GPS add on replaces the coin tray in the center

Postby TnLoneWolf » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:02 pm

I've got this neat little piece headed my way.....where is the fuse box on these SUV's..? Anyone istalled one of these?
Thanks

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”