need opinions about possible driving light mod

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

00void

need opinions about possible driving light mod

Postby 00void » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:59 pm

ok, since i can't really find a safari bar i like for my truck. i was thinking of getting a set of PIAA 2100 Driving Lamps and mounting them as shown in the pic (below).

that grey box is a true size mock-up of the lamp size. it just fits. there'd be room so it wouldn't be packed in.

so, i was thinking of having the bracket be above the lamp and attaching the lamp to the sturdier plastic above where the mock-up box is in the picture. i don't know the weight of each lamp however.

that said, would anyone advise against doing this? do you think the plastic isn't rigid enough to hold the lamps especially if i hit some rough terrain? FWIW, i don't plan going off-road with the truck but we have some nasty streets around here. the black plastic insert of that 'mouth' opening is super flexible and i wouldn't attach them to it.

i hope this all made sense. any/all opinions would be helpful as i would like to purchase these by weeks end.
Last edited by 00void on Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fofiddy

Safari Light bar you say?

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:29 pm

Void you may have missed my last post on the LED light bars:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=700

I think the 32" or 42" setup might be right up your alley if your looking for a light bar. They also make 8" and 12" models as well. Pricey but nothing outperforms LED lighting.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: need opinions about possible driving light mod

Postby NVSteve » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:25 am

00void wrote: so, i was thinking of having the bracket be above the lamp and attaching the lamp to the sturdier plastic above where the mock-up box is in the picture. i don't know the weight of each lamp however.

that said, would anyone advise against doing this?
No way would I mount anything to that plastic grill. It may hold for a while, but I'm betting that it will crack at some point. If it were me, I would mount it to the top part of the bumper just to the side of the plate in your picture:

I don't know if there is any metal underneath the plastic, but if there isn't, you should still have enough room to install a square metal plate underneath to attach it to securely.

00void

Postby 00void » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:53 am

it was hard to explain but no, i'm not thinking of attaching them to that black plastic grille insert. it seems too 'soft' and pliable and i think it wouldn't be able to hold the weight and anything thrown it's way. plus, i don't think there's even room to screw the thing down on it.

see the new pic i uploaded

i want to mount it there... i think if the light is too low to the ground, it won't do it's job properly. the plastic that's painted silver is much thicker and sturdier BUT there's a chance it too might be too thin. what do you think? i'm so bad and always second-guess with this stuff. :oops:

00void

Postby 00void » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:24 pm

ugh... Photobucket keeps deleting my accounts... here's the pic AGAIN, sorry

sveintore

Postby sveintore » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:41 pm

Can this help in determinig what's behind (or over) the plastic? :)

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:08 pm

sveintore wrote: Can this help in determinig what's behind (or over) the plastic? :)
That helps! O0void, I would still mount it to the bumper. I just think that if you try to mount it to plastic that high up, the already flexible plastic would shake the crap out of the lights. You'll get far less vibration through the bumper than you will the grill/front facade. I've had lights that low before & they've worked great. That was also back when bumpers were steel w/no plastic, so it was a pretty obvious mounting location.

00void

Postby 00void » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:12 am

NVSteve wrote:
sveintore wrote: Can this help in determinig what's behind (or over) the plastic? :)
That helps! O0void, I would still mount it to the bumper. I just think that if you try to mount it to plastic that high up, the already flexible plastic would shake the crap out of the lights. You'll get far less vibration through the bumper than you will the grill/front facade. I've had lights that low before & they've worked great. That was also back when bumpers were steel w/no plastic, so it was a pretty obvious mounting location.
i really have to look over the truck in daylight to see what and where i can put them on. i found a great deal on the lights hence the rush.

again, i have to look at the truck in more detail, but from what i remember, the point where i'd like to place them is the same plastic as to where you suggest. do you think those few inches can make a big difference? i want to try and avoid putting them on the bumper but i'm open for suggestions especially if it's better for the long-run.

i appreciate your comments with this so far. it's been helpful!

00void

Postby 00void » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:55 am

i had time this weekend to look over the front of the truck and there's definitely NOT a chance the lights would go anywhere on the bumper. the plastic is too thin and flexible.

i did however, finally install a pair of Silverstar Ultras. i only had about 5min of time with them at night in 50/50 street lighted driving and my first impression is real good. i still need to drive down the road near me w/ no street lamps to see how they truly fair, but so far i'm impressed.

with 'brights' on the light seems more spread, whiter and brighter. with 'brights' off and fogs on, the new bulbs add a bit more light which is whiter than the stock bulbs.

i had regular Silverstars in my T4R and they lasted a while, so i hope these last long too.

just still need to figure out a permanent solution for additional lighting.

OurPathfinder

Postby OurPathfinder » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:47 pm

Looks like I might have to mount some driving lights in that space above the license plate to the right and left. Looks like rectangular lights mounted to the metal bar under the bumper. Just need to find some nice driving lights that won't break the bank.

OurPathfinder

Postby OurPathfinder » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:03 am

Or perhaps make your own brackets. I think I'm going to make my own driving light brackets and I'll let everyone know how well they work. Or don't work. :)

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”