Upgrading VCP MES (Mobile Entertainment System) to DVD

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

gregwaehner

Upgrading VCP MES (Mobile Entertainment System) to DVD

Postby gregwaehner » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:20 am

Looking for some help, suggestions and clarification of information. I have a 2001 Pathfinder LE with grey interior and the VHS (VCP) Mobile Entertainment System (MES). It has the custom Nissan DIN connection that looks like a big S/Video connector - circular with a bunch of pins providing power, audio/video and IR.

I know I'm behind the times, but I want to replace the VCP with the DVD. I have found part numbers for
1) Mobile Entertainment System DVD Upgrade Kit - Gray #999U8-VM2GY
2) Mobile Entertainment System DVD Unit #999U8-VM10S

However, I can not find anyone that has one for sale, nor the technical specifications to ensure the physical connection matches, and thus, I don't know which one I really need.

Has anyone upgraded/replaced their VCP MES to the DVD version? If so, can you tell me which part # I actually need, and even better, if you know to find one now?

I'm willing to pay for the "nissan-compliance", but alternatively, if someone knows of an aftermarket DVD player solution that can hook up through the Nissan custom DIN, I'd love to hear it.

Please help! I've contacted countless suppliers, and they all say one of the following:
1) The DVD version didn't exist for 2001 (mine).
2) The upgrade kit is no longer "serviced" by Nissan
3) They don't have any to sell me
4) They've never done the upgrade, so can't help
5) They don't have the technical physical connection information
6) Look to the forums / community

I hope this is sufficiently clear. I'm just looking for an answer for how to replace my VCP/VHS player with a DVD player. If I have to, I can hook up a portable DVD player to the audio/video inputs, but I'd rather replace the VCP completely.

Thank you!

- Greg Waehner

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”