Goblin Valley State Park

Life on the road is what automobiles were made for, share your road trip stories and pictures here.

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Goblin Valley State Park

Postby NVSteve » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:01 am

Just around the corner from Capitol Reef National Park, maybe about 50 miles away, is a surreal place known as Goblin Valley. Certainly worth visiting if you're ever in Utah. We arrived with just enough light to set up camp & get the fire going. First thing next morning, we hiked within the valley for about 3 hours. I was kind of annoyed that there was a huge storm system overhead, with black & gray skies-pure crap conditions for taking photos. But, crappy photos are better than no photos, so I took hundreds of shots anyway.

The campground & Goblin Valley in the crappy light:

Returned to camp, ate some lunch, then drove down a dirt road out of the park to a place called Little Wildhorse Canyon, which is a popular hike:

On the way back to the campground, I spied a sign posted next to a little dirt road that had warnings about needing high clearance 4x4, etc. Had to take a short detour and drive it. It was only a couple of miles in length, but severely washed out. It ended at an overlook of a rock formation outside the park:

From the overlook, I saw a fairly large patch of blue sky out to the west, and the sun was getting close to breaking the clouds. We decided to go back to Goblin Valley with the hope of having some light this time, although it would be cutting it real close to the sun setting.

We totally lucked out, as the light was fantastic. Even all the dark clouds added to the overall ideal shooting conditions:

Here's our campsite the next morning as we were slowly packing for the drive home:

The black thing on the bottom right of the photo is a cat. The rangers told us it either ran out of someone's RV or, more likely, someone abandoned it. It's been there 3-4 years and is super healthy looking & astonishingly clean. It hopped from lap to lap all night in front of the fire, and I saw him a bit later perched on a cliff overlooking the camp, with a couple of big crows sitting next to him. Oddest thing. We fed and gave it water and were contemplating bringing him home, but if he's survived this long out here, then he's doing just fine. Talk about out of place, but he'd be more so if he was stuck in someone's house. Still, it really pisses me off to come across an abandoned animal like this. Some people just need to be shot for their own good & the good of others.

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:40 am

WOW! :D ... Very nice......... Triffid

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:42 pm

It looks like you went to the land a big red mushrooms. The first set of pictures with the overcast skies reminded me of a bad star trek set. All joking aside, they are cool pictures, just wish I could get out that way to see it in person. Envious.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:27 pm

boogyman wrote:bad star trek set
If I were a Trekkie geek, I could provide season X, episode XX to back up that claim. Sadly, I can't. I do know that a Tim Allen movie was filmed there. Pretty sure it's called Galaxy Quest (or something similar).

jens

Postby jens » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:30 am

That is unbelievable beautiful landscape, nice pic.

stmack2007

Postby stmack2007 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:43 pm

wow what a landscape....maybe a nice road trip from ontario canada is in order..a long one for sure but it looks like it would be worth it

Return to “Roaaad Trip!!!”