Steering - feels like I'm about to lose control!!

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

btseagle98

Steering - feels like I'm about to lose control!!

Postby btseagle98 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:30 am

2010 Pathfinder
33K miles
Stock - no lifts, or after market extras
Tires only have 12K miles on them.

When we are driving down the road going any faster than, say 35mph, and hit a bump (regardless of size), this darn thing literally feels like the steering wheel is about to jump out of my hands and control of the vehicle is in jeopardy. The car actually jumps left or right.

Its to the point to where I dont feel safe driving this truck on the highway. I am now one of those people who slow down...WAY DOWN...when going around a curve on the interstate.

Any idea what this could be?

With basic car maintenance (oil change, plug change, tires, filters, etc...) I am OK. When it comes to things like this I am completely clueless.

I want to have some things in mind when I take it to my mechanic.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:05 am

have it aligned at a competent alignment shop

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:06 am

One or all of the following: alignment, shocks, springs. I'd start with the alignment. Let us know what happens.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:13 am

at 33K miles, I figure the shocks & springs are OK
the tires should be evaluated carefully, but a competent alignment shop would know that
I stress competent because though many shops are equipped to do this procedure, many mechanics are not skilled enough to properly adjust tire pressures :shock:

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:09 am

Another vote for alignment. When mine gets jumpy, I take it in for an alignment. I use a small shop that specializes in tires/alignment/suspension and they have an expert alignment guy. It's like night and day when it's aligned properly.

btseagle98

Postby btseagle98 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:14 am

Thanks!

I'll get it aligned and let everyone know. I've had alignment go out on cars before, my wife has as well, and neither of us have EVER experienced anything like this.

Hopefully that's the problem because it would be a fairly cheap fix.

Thanks again!!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:40 am

btseagle98 wrote:Thanks!

I'll get it aligned and let everyone know. I've had alignment go out on cars before, my wife has as well, and neither of us have EVER experienced anything like this.

Hopefully that's the problem because it would be a fairly cheap fix.

Thanks again!!
FYI it's called "bump steer" and some vehicles are more susceptible of it than others. It has to do with suspension geometry and something to do with certain parts of the alignment. I forget the details but this is also the first vehicle I've owned that had this type of problem come/go. It's not uncommon for some trucks/suvs to jump a little like that all the time. The PF just does it really bad when the alignment is off.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:45 am

I'm wondering if some brands or style of tires may aggravate this condition.
Or maybe tires worn unevenly.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:18 am

eieio wrote:I'm wondering if some brands or style of tires may aggravate this condition.
Or maybe tires worn unevenly.
I've never noticed a difference between the oem continentals and the Michelins I run now. Also no difference between when they were new or worn. I drive a lot of very rough roads though. Mine has been ok for about a year now but previously I've had to do the alignment about every six months. I'm kind of scared to change anything at the moment....

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”