Crapy Stock

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

lebanesepathy

Crapy Stock

Postby lebanesepathy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:42 am

What can we do about the bumpy ride our stock suspension gives ?[/list][/quote]

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:56 am

with the mileage shown on your avatar. it's time for new shocks

lebanesepathy

Postby lebanesepathy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:31 am

JAHBLESSINGS wrote:with the mileage shown on your avatar. it's time for new shocks
You're right. I'm pretty sure mine are the ones that came with it back in 2006. But I meant the mods. I've heard about airlift and blistein but have no idea what those are

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:18 pm

You'll always have somewhat of a bumpy ride (some have labeled it as "unsettled"). Bilstein HD rear shocks are a monotube design shock and do a better job than the stock Nissan units. They usually run in the $68-$75 range per shock. A common complaint with the R51 is that the rear suspension bottoms out or sags when towing. Airlift 1000 air bags do a great job of addressing this and a fairly easy to install; they go for about $75 and has everything you need. You will have the option of using one shrader valve to fill both air bags jointly or run a separate valve for each bag; I recommend the later option. There are write ups on the forum that discuss the Airlift 1000's and their installation

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:28 am

smj999smj wrote:A common complaint with the R51 is that the rear suspension bottoms out or sags when towing.
And not just towing, but normal driving will encounter some bottoming out as well.

lebanesepathy

Postby lebanesepathy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:46 am

I don't tow at all. But last inspection said that rear suspension is out. So when replacing them I wanna know what to install. Sorry I have no experience at all in these things.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:22 am

lebanesepathy wrote:I don't tow at all. But last inspection said that rear suspension is out. So when replacing them I wanna know what to install. Sorry I have no experience at all in these things.
go with smj999smj's recommendations above
you can "Google" the shocks and air bag set to see what they are, and availability where you live
rear shocks & air bags are easy to install
front shocks can be a bit of a chore, involving some special tools

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:25 am

smj999smj wrote:. You will have the option of using one shrader valve to fill both air bags jointly or run a separate valve for each bag; I recommend the later option.
wouldn't it be a better set-up to use one air valve for both bags?
that way, if there were to be any air loss, it would equalize both bags, resulting in a safer ride

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:10 am

I believe the theory is that with one valve, if more pressure is exerted on one side of the vehicle, the air pressure will move to the side where it is not needed.

I have my Airlift set up with one schrader valve, and have had no issues. I don't think these things are designed to make up for lateral sloppiness, but rather the slump or sag that occurs. Therefore, I don't think its necessary to use 2 valves.

But hey, whatever floats your boat... :) I could be totally off base too.

t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:36 am

One advantage about using two valves is that if a small leak develops, it will make it easier to determine what side it is on.
The front, stock shocks are actually pretty descent for most drivers, unless you plan on doing serious off-roading. The rear shocks, while simple to replace as far as procedure, can be tough when it comes to getting the nuts loose. I had to use a pipe on a large breaker bar to get mine loose! They were friggin' tight!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:43 am

I've had mine installed for over 5 years now. If it developed a leak, I would replace both sides and the air lines.

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:10 am

Hey i would say shocks usually do the trick...switched my springs and shocks for Old Man Emu...costed about 5000AED plus installation...i would say get a set of Ironman shocks as these are readily available for us in the middle east..oh and there is the online shops...

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:12 am

The airbags option seems to be popular in the states i am yet to see any of that set up in these parts of the world...

lebanesepathy

Postby lebanesepathy » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:21 pm

patomwazi wrote:The airbags option seems to be popular in the states i am yet to see any of that set up in these parts of the world...
Yeah you don't find airbags around here

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”