From the Rancho to Bilstein shocks, or vice-versa?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

BigEz

From the Rancho to Bilstein shocks, or vice-versa?

Postby BigEz » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:57 am

Has anyone switched from the Rancho to Bilstein shocks, or vice-versa?

Also, with a 2"spring spacer lift in rear, do I need Bilstein 4600 or 5100s?

About a year ago I installed the Rancho lift with Airlift (Rancho 2" Lvl/lift, Rancho RS9000XL Rear Shocks, AirLift 1000) I have been mostly satisfied with the ride on the highway and when towing. But they may be the cause of some bushing wear. In order to get the best highway ride (without towing) I run them on setting 7+, with the airbags at about 10psi. This gives me a great ride at 80mph with very little body roll. I drive about 100 mile a day, mostly above 70mph.

The problem is when I go off-road (daily). My day includes a few miles of very rough roads, trails and bumps. Nothing that needs more than 4x4 auto, more bumpy than slick. Anyway, with only a few miles I am just to lazy to adjust the Ranchos, plus I'm not sure the Ranchos' adjustment knob is stout enough for daily adjustment, so smooth highway settings win. The problem is the off-road is just too damn hard and bumpy, the rear being the worst.

About a week ago I started getting some bump steering, a new condition. I found that my rear lower link bushings were shot. These were fine 15k miles ago, and I can't help but feel the rigid highway setting on those bumpy roads played a part. I have read that one of the disadvantages of the Ranchos is the adjustment controls both compression & rebound (linked), which can cause disadvantages high settings. So I'm looking at going with Bilsteins in the rear. From what I understand, the the Bilsteins may offer a better off-road ride while keeping highway smooth.

It appears the Bilstein 4600 are being used with 2" lifts by some people?? While some are using the 5100s? Is there an advantage to either with 2" lift?

Thanks

not on the rug

shocks

Postby not on the rug » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:35 am

have you looked on 4x4parts.com? for some reason I don't remember there being a 5100 for an r51 with a 2" lift. I think you have to use the 4600

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:32 pm

Yea, I think your right. Searched a few mor posts and it looks like the 5100 adjustable are being used it front... With the 4600 in the rear.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Keep us updated on the switch and your thoughts of the bilsteins... Thanks

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:31 am

I wonder if it is possible that with the stiffer settings, the energy absorption of the shocks and springs may be slightly re directing more force on other parts of the suspension? In this case those bushings of yours. I bet that with due time in the current conditions of daily "roughing up" but not beating, you will eventually have to replace bushings all over to better quality or hd if there is such. Just thinking out loud is all

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”