Strut/spring replacement

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

LessThanZero

Strut/spring replacement

Postby LessThanZero » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:08 pm

Okay, at 17X,XXX miles and having the original struts I think it's time to replace them. What I'm looking for is a direct replacement, meaning I want to remove the old strut and spring and just drop a new system in place. I don't want to use the old springs (the whole front end is squeaking like an old floor) and I'm planning on replacing parts up front as soon as it gets warm(er).

I guess my question is, does anyone sell a spring over strut already assembled that I can just "plug and play"?

Speaking of new front end replacement, I'm a little confused. What is exactly needed other than:

Strut/coil,
Lower control arms,
Front sway bar bushings.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:27 pm

I would go with Monroe Quick-struts #171103. They have a 90-day satisfaction warranty plus a limited lifetime warranty. Rockauto.com sells them for $111.79+shipping. Search online for a 5% discount code.
They also have a full selection of upper and lower control arms with bushings. I would go with either Dorman or Moog; both have a lifetime limited warranty.
You can also get sway bar links there. However, for the sway bar mount bushings, I would go with genuine Nissans, which have been updated and they are inexpensive. The aftermarket sway bar mount bushings don't have the update, which repositions the split in the bushing from directly between the bar and the crossmember. The updated part # is: 54613-ZL10A and they run for under $10/pair.
If you are going to replace control arms, I would suggest you get a new set of bolts from the dealer, as well. They sometimes become seized to the bushings and need to be cut out.

LessThanZero

Postby LessThanZero » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:30 pm

smj999smj wrote:I would go with Monroe Quick-struts #171103. They have a 90-day satisfaction warranty plus a limited lifetime warranty. Rockauto.com sells them for $111.79+shipping. Search online for a 5% discount code.
They also have a full selection of upper and lower control arms with bushings. I would go with either Dorman or Moog; both have a lifetime limited warranty.
You can also get sway bar links there. However, for the sway bar mount bushings, I would go with genuine Nissans, which have been updated and they are inexpensive. The aftermarket sway bar mount bushings don't have the update, which repositions the split in the bushing from directly between the bar and the crossmember. The updated part # is: 54613-ZL10A and they run for under $10/pair.
If you are going to replace control arms, I would suggest you get a new set of bolts from the dealer, as well. They sometimes become seized to the bushings and need to be cut out.
And this boys and girls is why I love this site.

Thanks for the info..

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:41 pm

I did the same recently with the Monroe Quick-Struts an am very happy. It was quite easy too....took maybe two hours taking my time. I think I wrote up something when I did it if you search my history.

LessThanZero

Postby LessThanZero » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:29 pm

skinny2 wrote:I did the same recently with the Monroe Quick-Struts an am very happy. It was quite easy too....took maybe two hours taking my time. I think I wrote up something when I did it if you search my history.
Just to make sure, it comes with the bearing plate and everything just rip all the old stuff out and install the new Monroe's?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:23 am

Yep it's very straight forward. You'll need to hit the top bolts, bottom bolt, and pull the end-links from the sway bar to get enough movement to slide it all in/out. My bottom bolts were a bitch to loosen....had to go find my good breaker bar then all was fine.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”