Towing a 2011 Jay Feather 19H with a 2009 SE V6

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Ryan7

Towing a 2011 Jay Feather 19H with a 2009 SE V6

Postby Ryan7 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:52 am

Any worries here? Most towing will be 2 hour trips from northern Massachusetts to the White Mountain Region in New Hampshire. Not a ton of large up hill roads, mostly long inclines and 90% of the travel will be highway. Weight Distribution Hitch and Sway bars needed?

Ive seen this exact vehicle towing much larger campers on the highways and parked at camprgrounds.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Trailer Specs

Unloaded vehicle weight (lbs.) 3615
Hitch weight (lbs.) 440
Gross vehicle weight (lbs.) 4950
Cargo carrying capacity (lbs.) 1335

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:04 am

you'll be fine as long as you have a decent brake controller and a WDH.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:06 am

Should pull pretty nice. If you've not installed airbags you'll probably want to do that. Single best upgrade you can make to the PF for all driving. Lots of DIY posts in the forums for this.

Ryan7

Postby Ryan7 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:09 am

Was just looking into a WDH and Airlift 1000 right now. Seems to 2 inexpensive things that will make my ride more pleasant.

I posted this on RV.NET and the 1st reply was "I wouldnt do it"

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:50 am

Yeah those guys at RV.NET think you need a 3 tonne dually diesel to pull a pop-up trailer.

I'm all for being conservative, but I'm not going to buy a ridiculous truck just to pull my camper a half dozen times a year.

Stay within the limits on the door plate, and all will be fine.

Ryan7

Postby Ryan7 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:15 am

disallow wrote:Yeah those guys at RV.NET think you need a 3 tonne dually diesel to pull a pop-up trailer.

I'm all for being conservative, but I'm not going to buy a ridiculous truck just to pull my camper a half dozen times a year.

Stay within the limits on the door plate, and all will be fine.
Same with us, we average 7-8 trips per summer season and our longest trip is 2 1/2 hours. If the Pathfinder will pull the camper and it's still under the desired limit weight with our cargo loaded up why should I purchase a massive truck that could tow a small ranch home with the foundation still attached?

I'll have the brake control for the trailer brakes, airlift and WD hitch and keep this bad boy under 65. If this serves my purpose and gets me to A and B safely then I'm all good.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:31 am

As someone that also has a big dually diesel, I will say that they do a very good job at pulling and it's probably safer. But that doesn't mean you can't get along just fine with what you have. I pull with my PF from time to time and it does a fine job. It's more convenient at times to have a smaller/better turning vehicle for getting into tight spots. Take your time, load it properly, and don't do anything stupid.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:07 pm

I have an 08 LE V8. 2 weeks ago I purchased a 2015 Jayco Jayflight 28 BHS. It weighs 5000lbs dry/empty and GVWR is 7200lbs. That gives me 2000lbs worth of gear to keep under the 7000lbs tow rating. Counting my wife, kids and gear I don't think I'll exceed the 2000lbs. However driving from the dealership to my home my pathfinder pulled great.

I had the dealership throw in a WDH with the purchase of my trailer and I upgraded my standard brake controller to a tekonsha P3 brake controller. I thought since I'll be doing more towing I'd get a controller that has a few more capabilities then your standard controller.

I just purchased a bullydog programmer from another forum member who sold his Pathfinder. I have not installed it yet but hope to do that this week. We plan to take the trailer out this weekend for its maiden voyage.

FYI I'm selling my Reese brake controller with the Nissan wiring harness that's plug and play if you are interested.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:41 pm

I pulled a Jayco 19H for years with a 2006 Toyota 4Runner and had no issues at all. My Runner was a V6 and I had a good WD Hitch with a friction sway control (don't leave home without it by the way) We now have a Jayco 23B it's about 4 years old and weighs only 500 lbs more than the 19H we will be towing this with my 2012 V6 Pathfinder this summer I expect it will tow just fine. My advice is just take it easy when you get to a big hill drop it into 3rd gear and drop your speed down to 50-55 and let the V6 spin it's not good for the trans to keep hunting for the best gear.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”