Can I Do It Myself?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

jester125

Can I Do It Myself?

Postby jester125 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:46 am

There is a good rebate for the Rancho shocks/struts and I was wondering if with basic tools and basic knowledge/ability, could I replace my struts and shocks on my 06 myself on the driveway or do I need any special tools or a lift?

Thanks Chris

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:36 am

The rear shocks are pretty cut and dry, but the nuts can be a little tough to get off with hand tools. I know the torque spec on one of the nuts is around 165 ft/lbs. You'll want a jack stand to support the frame near that wheel and a jack to lift the lower suspension link that supports the coil spring.
As far as the front, if they are "quick-struts," it's not too bad. You'll still want a jack stand and a jack. The strut assembly is pretty much bolt off and bolt on. However, if it is not a "quick-strut," then you will need to find a way to compress the spring safely, or take it to a shop and have them swap the coil spring and upper mount over to your new, front struts.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Can I Do It Myself?

Postby eieio » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:38 am

jester125 wrote:There is a good rebate for the Rancho shocks/struts and I was wondering if with basic tools and basic knowledge/ability, could I replace my struts and shocks on my 06 myself on the driveway or do I need any special tools or a lift?

Thanks Chris
which shocks & struts are you looking at?
got a link with the rebate info?

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:45 pm

jester125

Postby jester125 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:45 am

I'm looking to get the Rancho Loaded Quicklift Complete Strut Assembly(s) and the RS9000XL shocks. All 4 at Rock auto are $481.16 - $126 Rebate (visa card) =$355.16, seems like a good deal. I've got air tools and plenty of jacks/stands should I need anything else?

Thanks, Chris

Here's the rebate form for Rancho:

http://www.gorancho.com/downloads/promo ... atepad.pdf

kopeck

Postby kopeck » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:00 am

Just a warning.

I "took advantage" of a similar rebate a couple of years ago. I filled out the online form and submitted everything.

They gave you a number so you could check the status. I did that for quite a while (months) and still no rebate. I emailed them and they gave me a list of reasons why it was still pending but not a specific reason for my claim. Finally I checked one day and the rebate claim was denied. I emailed and asked what happened and they said there was an error on my form. I was also informed that I was now outside the window for the rebate so I was out of luck.

Kind of burned me. The shocks just died in the back, you bet I'm going to be warranting those suckers!

K

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”