suspension traction alignment help

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Phiakong

suspension traction alignment help

Postby Phiakong » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:02 pm

Hello everyone. its been almost a year since I had lifted my pathfinder with rancho quick lift 2 inch and spacers in the rear. I also have airlifts (annoying they still make noise when I go over bumps).

I have on a set of 17s with 33s, tires are Hankook dynapro atm. This really bothers me but is it just me or my pathfinder run like shiet in the snow. I loose a lot of traction on the freeway with that set up or not even just on the highway but when theres at least 2 inches of snow on the road period. maybe its the tires? I don't know...any feedback will help

another Question is do I need camber kits? everyday when I look at my front tires seems like the cambers are more positive then negative.

not on the rug

traction

Postby not on the rug » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:28 am

maybe those tires just aren't that great in the snow? I don't have any experience with them. and also, if they are 33s, they're probably pretty wide (285s?). wide tires tend to float over the snow rather than cut through it down to the pavement.

as for the camber, have you had the truck aligned? what were the numbers? are the tires wearing unevenly?

Phiakong

Postby Phiakong » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:10 pm

I haven't got a alignment yet. Is it recommended? I can't really tell how Much the tires wore out because I only had it for 8 months plus I hardly drive my pathfinder (48 miles total to work and back home everyday).

DiBo

Postby DiBo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:00 pm

i have the same setup with 285's and its almost uncontrollable on any slippery pavement. I also have not got an alignment. I have Toyo A/T's. very curious if the alignment would help fix this.

not on the rug

alignment

Postby not on the rug » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:52 am

after any suspension work, it's best to give it a few weeks to settle and then get an alignment. at least that's my understanding of the situation. I always did that when I lowered cars as well.

I've noticed that the toyo AT2 isn't the best tire in the snow and ice, but it's rock-solid up until 35-40mph, then it gets dicey. in all honesty, you probably shouldn't be driving faster than 40mph in the snow anyway.

DiBo do you have the ATs or the AT2s? I remember reading that the AT2 did far better in wet/slipper conditions than the original AT

for anyone looking at AT tires, expedition portal did a huge tire comparison test and the new cooper ATs kicked ass in all conditions and are seemingly the best AT tire on the market now. something to consider

Phiakong

Postby Phiakong » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:40 am

I never had experience of drive bigger vehicle with wider tires on snow before so I did not know. It makes sense though. Yes it is almost impossible to control when driving on snow with these wide tires.

I will get a alignment done and post up some numbers

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”