"Leveling" Lift Question - Front End Only? - 2011

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Kanazozo

"Leveling" Lift Question - Front End Only? - 2011

Postby Kanazozo » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:31 am

Hey guys,

So first real post, but Ive been lurking and talking to a few of you via PM for a few months now. Just to give you some perspective on my goals, I am an "energetic" :twisted: highway driver, so performance (power, handling, and quick shifts) are my highest priority. My second priority is not compromising the off-road capabilities of the R51's.

Vehicle is an all black 2011 V8 4WD, and mods done to date are - Volant Powercore CAI, JBA Long Tube Headers, Berk B Pipes, Magnaflow Muffler (22"), Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator, DC Power Engineering alternator, Goodridge stainless brakelines, StopTech slotted rotors, Akebono performance pads, and Tru-Cool trans cooler (4590). In other words, all performance, nothing done to my suspension.

So, now Im looking at suspension options. I don't want to lower anything, but don't especially want to raise it much (if at all). The rear end, after weight reduction (spare, and 3rd row out) sits higher than the front end. Rather than lower it, Id like to "level out" the front end without making the ride too soft or make the body roll too much.

So now my question - I ordered a pair of Bilstein 5100 Ride Height Adjustable struts for the front end only. If I put these on, adjust them to + 0.5" (or maybe a little more?) to level the front with factory rear, is this going to make my Pathy ride badly? Is there another way to keep or improve handling, level the front and the back, and not raise or lower the entire vehicle too much?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for your thoughts.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:19 am

I'd save money and just get a leveling kit. Anything that the Frontiers use will work, I think it's under 100$ too. But if you wanted to fine tune it, then yes, the adjustable front struts should work.

Can't help you much, but very interested in seeing your mods and also maybe a sound clip or 2.

Really want to add headers to mine but seems like a big job.

Kanazozo

Postby Kanazozo » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:01 am

Thanks NmexMAX, good advice, and I think that's what Im going to do (leveling kit).

Regarding mods, Im in the process of taking everything up to 2.5", requiring new b pipes on back; as soon as Im done, Ill be happy to upload some clips and pictures. Also, I cant take credit for any original ideas - Forgottenzone and a few others (yourself included) have really paved the way and hammered out the kinks... sometimes literally :?

Thanks again

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”