2006 Pathfinder LE Right Rear Coil spring cracked.

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

mrjfk65

2006 Pathfinder LE Right Rear Coil spring cracked.

Postby mrjfk65 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:02 am

The car has been making noises whenever I hit a bump. I crawled under the car and noticed the right rear spring is cracked.

I bought the car in January of this year. It could have been purchased like that which is probably the case (I have heard the sound since purchase) as I have not taken the car off road, or towed, or have hit hard bumps.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I ordered a new set of Moog springs.

Has anyone done this job before? How long can I expect to complete the job? (I'm above average mechanically, and will be using air tools, but not a lift)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:09 pm

They aren't too hard to replace. Jack up the back end and support the truck with jack stands. Place the jack under the control arms, gradually lower the control arm to remove the tension off of the spring and then swap the spring out. There's some tension on the spring, but it's not like the spring pressure you'd be dealing with if it were a strut spring. Still, always be careful!

mrjfk65

Postby mrjfk65 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:18 am

Thanks so much for the advice, I will do it next weekend, and let everyone know how it went.

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:44 am

I had the same issue, however both my rear springs are cracked.
I thought something was strange as the car had rear-facing downward trajectory.

Question: Since I am going to replace the rear springs, good idea to buy taller spring for some rear lift - while keeping all other parts (rear shocks, front struts all original standard size?

@mrjkf65, how was the replacement? did you still complete it yourself?

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:18 pm

BullDozer wrote:I had the same issue, however both my rear springs are cracked.
I thought something was strange as the car had rear-facing downward trajectory.

Question: Since I am going to replace the rear springs, good idea to buy taller spring for some rear lift - while keeping all other parts (rear shocks, front struts all original standard size?

@mrjkf65, how was the replacement? did you still complete it yourself?
There are some aftermarket springs that can give you lift.
I just ran some Armada springs to give me lift but lost alignment

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:11 pm

If I got a taller spring, shouldn't I also got taller shocks?

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:54 pm

Anytime you move the travel a shock was used to it will shorten its life.
I would recomend getting new shocks if you are lifting it just so you start fresh.

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:58 pm

Thupertrooper wrote:Anytime you move the travel a shock was used to it will shorten its life.
I would recomend getting new shocks if you are lifting it just so you start fresh.

Thanks Thupertrooper. How about this
http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981116-path ... coils.html
It states .5 inch lift

So still need new longer shocks?
I was trying to decide between this and the standard autozone oem or the moog from ebay. Also direct oem replacement

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:21 pm

BullDozer wrote:
Thupertrooper wrote:Anytime you move the travel a shock was used to it will shorten its life.

Thanks Thupertrooper. How about this
http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981116-path ... coils.html
It states .5 inch lift

So still need new longer shocks?
I was trying to decide between this and the standard autozone oem or the moog from ebay. Also direct oem replacement

You are going to have to do research on the 3 after market ones they sell
Those 4x4parts MD and HD , OME MD or HD , and the nisstec ones. It all depends on what you really want the lift for.
I lifted mine but im swapping the shocks for longer ones so i can have some more travel downward since i will be doing some custom fabrication on the arms. Longer shocks and taller springs will be what you want for best travel.
Im running armada 4x4 hd springs to handle more weight in the back but are only 16.65" tall only have inch taller then my stocks but almost twice as thick.

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:29 pm

So I replaced both of my stock rear springs - both were broken, with a new pair from autozone, part cs81117 (stock for 08 V8 pathfinder). Mine is 06 V6, but I am guessing the taller and stiffer 08 would be fine. Same price for both versions - with coupon I got the pair for around $120.

So far rides much better. Right now the rear is about 3 inches higher than before. I have noticed other pathfinders with sagging rears, bet their springs are also broken.
Last edited by BullDozer on Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:31 pm

You should have the alignment checked. If you raised the ride height over stock with the new springs, the camber will also be affected.

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:02 am

smj999smj wrote:You should have the alignment checked. If you raised the ride height over stock with the new springs, the camber will also be affected.
Yes. Thank you. I can already tell the alignment looks different. I think in all, it will only be 1/2 inch taller from original brand new oem.

Have to replace outer tie rods soon, then going for alignment

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:19 am

Glad it worked out
Good thing to know now if they crack again you just go into autozone and get new ones.

schuhs

Coil swap-out

Postby schuhs » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:54 pm

BullDozer wrote:
smj999smj wrote:You should have the alignment checked. If you raised the ride height over stock with the new springs, the camber will also be affected.
Yes. Thank you. I can already tell the alignment looks different. I think in all, it will only be 1/2 inch taller from original brand new oem.

Would you want to put up pictures of the new ride height from the 08 coils. I am very interested in doing this soon

BullDozer

Re: Coil swap-out

Postby BullDozer » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:56 pm

schuhs wrote:
BullDozer wrote:

Would you want to put up pictures of the new ride height from the 08 coils. I am very interested in doing this
soon

Sorry pictures not great. But here is original 06 with both rear springs cracked

Before
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fobv9qoqzyhr ... n.jpg?dl=0

After
with new 08 v8 rear springs. About 1 hour after installing. They have gone down maybe another 1/2 inch after settling, but I think still around 3/4 inch taller than 06 v6

https://www.dropbox.com/s/huqgovkugt5qy ... s.jpg?dl=0

Picture now. After settling:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqfyrex1xln0w ... s.jpg?dl=0

Rear does need to be aligned now. Just to give you idea, i could not even put one hand vertically between the rear well and tire, now almost put two hands. For me going from broken springs to this - is about 3 1/2 inch lift.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”