Time For New Shocks and Airbags (Highway, Dirt Roads & T

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Mallthus

Time For New Shocks and Airbags (Highway, Dirt Roads & T

Postby Mallthus » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:05 pm

So, it's time for new shocks. What was once a "Gee. I think it's getting close." turned into a "It's time." after towing 6000 lbs last weekend and driving around with 6 adults this weekend.

The rig is an 08 LE V8 AWD.

So, the questions...

I'm considering adding some Airlift 1000s alongside the new shocks. Will the Rancho RS9000s kill two birds with one stone, or should I get a good traditional shock and add the Airlifts?

If I go with a traditional shock, are the HD Bilsteins the only viable choice or are there other HD shocks that'll deliver better performance in one or more of the environments I drive in?

Finally, assuming I go with the Airlifts, has anyone added on the Airlift air pump kit and, if so, what did that net you?

I need to act quickly on this, as I've got more trips in a couple weeks and need to address.

Thanks all. I promise to report back with results.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:17 pm

I've had both the Bilsteins and the adjustable Ranchos. Both are good; the new Ranchos seem sturdier built but both work.

Regardless of which you get, the Airbags will be a huge improvement. Especially if you're towing.

I didn't get the pump. It takes a few seconds with a bicycle pump to move up or down in pressure honestly. Anywhere from 0-10 psi unloaded will keep you from bottoming and make the spring curve more progressive; I use 7 psi or so usually. I don't tow, but when I have my 50 lb bike rack plus three or four 30 lb mountain bikes on the hitch plus a full load of stuff and people, I put 30 psi in the springs and it levels the truck nicely.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:36 am

Airbags FTW. Shocks help with rebound but the airbags help with compression/squat.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:22 pm

Do both esp if you tow. I am a Bilstein man I have used them on several trucks and cars over the years and have never had to replace one they just last. I will be going with them in the rear of my 2012PF right after the towing season destroys my stock shocks. I added the airbags last October after my father said he wanted to borrow my Pathy for an extensive road trip with 4 people and about 800 pounds of gear in the back! Made a huge difference.

By the way my father (in his late 70's) said he liked my 2012 Pathy so much on his road trip he is looking for a high quality used one now.

The Not So Shining Path

Postby The Not So Shining Path » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Airbags absolutely. They really are easy to do, and work really well.

But I would reject the Ranchos and go for Bilstein HD in the rear at least - my 10-month-old Ranchos just failed, and I never liked them that much in the first place. They made me mad.

Mallthus

Postby Mallthus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:08 am

OK then. I've ordered the Bilsteins and Airlift bags. They should come in next week. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do.

Thanks for the input.

Mallthus

Postby Mallthus » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:06 am

Turns out the rear Bilsteins are on national backorder.

Since I need to fix this now, I'm going with the Ranch 9000 shocks.

Wish me luck!

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:25 am

Have you thought about the Old Man Emu shocks?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

i always wondered how the KYB Gas-a-just shocks would do in our R51's compared to the Bilsteins? Like the Bilstein HD's, they are a monotube design and KYB is the OE manufacturer of the shocks on our Pathys, as well as many other models, and have always had a great reputation. I thought about going with them originally, but there was so much fanfare over the Bilsteins at the time it seemed like the tried-and tested choice. I've read a few have used the Monroe Reflex monotube shocks and have been happy with them. For me, the Airlift 1000's made the biggest difference, overall.

nismofan

Postby nismofan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:46 am

You can't go wrong with Bilstein and Rancho. Rancho is just more stiff based on my experience.

Mallthus

Postby Mallthus » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:57 pm

So, I've gotten about a week under me with the Ranchos and the Airlifts.

No towing yet, so the jury's out still on that, but I did take a trip into the mountains with four adult men, golf clubs and four day's luggage.

With the Airlifts aired up, the back end handled the weight quite nicely.

Just around town, with the airlifts dialed in at 12 psi, the Ranchos seem quite soft. They're on their medium setting and I haven't figured out exactly where the adjustment dial is located. Once I do, I'll be turning them up to medium-firm and seeing how that does.

All around, much better than the worn out factory shocks, but not the transformation I was hoping for. Of course, the Pathfinder is still a much better riding vehicle than either my old Yukon or Silverado HD, so there's that.

Mallthus

Postby Mallthus » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:00 pm

docwatson wrote:Have you thought about the Old Man Emu shocks?
I did, but my shop guy had Ranchos on his Armada and couldn't speak more highly about them, and they were in stock at the local DC, so that sealed the deal.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”