Airlift in the rear, ?? For the front

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

08PathPounder

Airlift in the rear, ?? For the front

Postby 08PathPounder » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:14 pm

I have noticed everyone going with the 2" all the way around but personally I'd like to keep it pretty stock. I have the airlift coming in the mail tomorrow and will put it in this Friday, my question is if the bags perk the rear end up and my front end has a little clunk to the strut after 60k, is there a set up I can get to level it out ? Without spacers.
So would something like the Rancho QL in the front with nothing but bags in the rear give it a sag or even a nose up ? Basically I want a level truck but being as the struts could probably be replaced soon i might as well get something worth having but don't want to lift it ... If that makes sense

Ps probably going to put blistein hd's in the rear in the near future

The Not So Shining Path

Postby The Not So Shining Path » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:02 pm

It's not really a question so much of raising the rear as it is levelling it and reducing bottoming-out and general spring apathy.

I don't have any lift at all on my '05, and I have the bags in the rear. If I pump them up to say 15psi or so, the rear comes up noticeably, but that just makes it level with passengers or stuff in the back, and a tiny bit tail-high with just me.

Install the bags and don't be concerned about lifting the front; or, lift both the rear and the front and do the bags as well (unless you get stiffer springs for the rear).

And, if you have not already done so, get Bilstein shocks at least for the rear and ideally the front too. And keep the alignment correct... if all these things are in place, the ride and control are actually quite good. Oh hell, may as well throw in some good tires too I replaced the stock Generals with some Good Year crap that was noisy and rough as hell. Now I have Michelin LTX MS/2, which while expensive are worth every penny.

My Path is currently in pieces as I replace the rear lower control arms (because of the usual seized adjuster bolts), but assuming I succeed in finishing the job I will post pics with the bags and ride height and stuff. Unless I forget.

Cheers.

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:25 pm

Annnnnnnnnndddddddd
There in lolol set up look familiar? Totally jacked the bracket idea, even the paint too haha. Thanks to you guys gotta love this forum! Ran the line through the frame well hidden from any exhaust heat & on passenger side and along the trailer hitch wiring on the driver.. Haven't drove it yet but im stoked to have it official

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:03 pm

The Not So Shining Path wrote:It's not really a question so much of raising the rear as it is levelling it and reducing bottoming-out and general spring apathy.

I don't have any lift at all on my '05, and I have the bags in the rear. If I pump them up to say 15psi or so, the rear comes up noticeably, but that just makes it level with passengers or stuff in the back, and a tiny bit tail-high with just me.

Install the bags and don't be concerned about lifting the front; or, lift both the rear and the front and do the bags as well (unless you get stiffer springs for the rear).

And, if you have not already done so, get Bilstein shocks at least for the rear and ideally the front too. And keep the alignment correct... if all these things are in place, the ride and control are actually quite good. Oh hell, may as well throw in some good tires too I replaced the stock Generals with some Good Year crap that was noisy and rough as hell. Now I have Michelin LTX MS/2, which while expensive are worth every penny.

My Path is currently in pieces as I replace the rear lower control arms (because of the usual seized adjuster bolts), but assuming I succeed in finishing the job I will post pics with the bags and ride height and stuff. Unless I forget.

Cheers.
Sorry to hear about the stubborn bolts, i always happen to do things the hard way as well haha, just how the cookie crumbles. I just quoted some alignments today can get one from a local mr tire for 85 + tax. I plan on getting the blistein shocks for sure. Just don't have the scratch at the moment especially after swapping to all Royal Purple fluids. That hurt but is worth the money IMO. This path is getting the 60k overhaul so far. Got the spectra premium radiator rp fluids the air lift soon to be blisteins in all four corners and possibly a new belt tensior & belt just for good measure

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:10 pm

For stock suspensions, the fronts struts were never really an issue. The stock fronts are the same as KYB G2/Excels and work well. If you have to replace them, of course, Bislteins would not be a bad choice especially since you are going with them in the rear. I can't say how much better they are than the KYB's in the front, as I went with the KYB when it was time to replace mine. As mentioned earlier by another poster, tires make a big difference in ride and I agree the Michelin LTX M/S2 is worth the money! I had them previously and wish I had stuck with them, but money was tight at the time. I went with Nitto Duro Grapplers, which is a very good tire, but a slightly harsher ride than the Michelins.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”