Squeaking from passenger side suspension

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Jayb52

Squeaking from passenger side suspension

Postby Jayb52 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:15 pm

2012 pathfinder stock suspension 40k mileage.

For the past couple months whenever I hit a pothole or left a gas station make a right turn I hear a squeak that sound like metal rubbing metal. dealer couldn't duplicate it. This weekend towing our camper made it much worse. I think it was due to the front end being more elevated with the heavy trailer. The tire going down quickly causes the noise best I can tell.

Dealer did replace Upper and Lower Control arms on that side already. Has anyone dealt with something like this?

Thinking Strut mount, swaybar bushings or endlinks.

Anything else i could check?

AtlantaRuffian

Postby AtlantaRuffian » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:37 pm

Mine does the same thing and, from the sound of it, in the same place. From what I've been able to gather, the most likely culprit is the sway bar bushing.

I haven't gotten around to swapping them out yet, but I'd start there as it's a cheap and relatively easy fix. The bushings themselves are around $12 and it's just a matter of getting the front end up and detaching the bushing brackets if you're comfortable doing it yourself.

Your other guesses are good too, just a bit more involved than the sway bar bushings to start toying with.

Jayb52

Postby Jayb52 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:42 pm

I squirted some white lithium grease on the hood rubber bumpers, and the sway bar bushing, now help.

Potholes will produce a chirp. While leaving the gas station today it made a metal screech with a kind of binding sound.

Has anyone had issues with body mounts on these trucks?

Jayb52

Postby Jayb52 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:02 am

Ive replaced the sway bar bushings and lubed everything. The dealer replaced upper and lower control arms last year. The noise seems to have come after that repair.

I noticed its more prevalent when hitting potholes when tire moves downward farther from the truck. When I trailered my camper and the front end was elevated it made the noise much more frequent on every bump.

I feel like it could be something with the spring seat, or strut mount.

Any thoughts?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:42 am

So, I'm the type that likes to start with the basics and work from there. One common squeak on these is from the hood latch. For some reason it sounds like it's in the passenger side suspension, but it wasn't. Wrap electrical tape 2/3 times around the striker on the hood. This costs you nothing and turned out to be the source of my similar squeak many years ago.

Jayb52

Postby Jayb52 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:37 am

I had the tape on the striker. It looked worn out so ill re-apply. But not really optimistic

Jayb52

Postby Jayb52 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:09 am

So the tape didn't fix it. Nor did lubing the 3 bump stops on the hood. I feel like it may be improperly seated strut spring. WOuld make sense as the front elevates to compensate for load in the back the spring would decompress .

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:40 am

get a big can of WD40
spray it on a suspected component
drive the truck under the circumstances at which you hear the noise
no change, pick another component
repeat as necessary
:wink:

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”