OME or TJM rear springs for lift?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:07 pm

That’s correct, I’ll leave this quote here just for informational purposes.
rragpaoa wrote:I can add a little more info to this as well since my pathfinder was used to design and test the rear shocks, and I have used both for a while.

You guys are right about the emulsion where the nitrogen gas is mixed with the oil. The high pressure of the nitrogen prevents the oil from cavitating thus providing a consistent rate of dampening. However, during hard use (like off-road racing) there still is a tendency for the oil to cavitate causing bubbles, build up heat, and start to fade. However, the aluminum body of the Radflos help dissipate the heat better.

The remote reservoir does NOT use a nitrogen charged oil bath. The nitrogen and oil are completely separated by an internal floating piston (IPF), hence the remote reservoir contains the nitrogen and houses the IPF. This leaves the whole shock body to just contain pure oil. Radflo uses a real good racing oil in all their shocks. This completely eliminates any bubbling effect from any cavitation, and more oil volume helps in cooling. Also, the whole shock body can be used for the full stroke, hence you can get more wheel travel. This is where the cost difference is. BUT, I seriously doubt the emulsion shocks are $100/shock. I believe it's around $175/shock, so 4x4 parts may have it mislabled.

Both Radflo shocks however have excellent velocity sensing valves that is very comfortable on the highway, and handles great off-road.

All front shocks for the Pathy are IPF shocks (not emulsion). The nitrogen and oil are separated by an internal floating piston.

In terms of wheel travel, and I know this for a fact since it was my specs with Radflo, both shocks will indeed give you a bit more wheel travel. The emulsion will give you about 9" travel (from 7.5" stock) and the remote reservoir will give you just a tad bit more than 10". I don't know why Radflo has both shocks the same length. Look here for the difference:

Looks are deceiving. It may not appear to be much difference, but because of the motion ratio (the way the our shocks are angled), we get about 1.5" wheel travel to every 1" of shock travel.
One last thing though. In order to get the full wheel travel when off roading, you MUST have the aftermarket coils, preferably the OME or the Eibachs since the original one are a bit too short, AND you must disconnect the sway bars, which is an easy 3 minute job.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:36 pm

NmexMAX
Do you recall the uncompressed height of your springs?
The stocks i bought were about $143 new.
Autozone stocked them

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:21 pm

I never measured them but I also have the first gen "HD" springs not the cool ones that actually give decent lift.

But it looks as if anything they're stiffer but unloaded they're shorter than stock but still provide at light lift.

Second post I believe

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... c&start=75

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:17 pm

Unless i could see the others to compare it looks like stocks are your best bang for your buck but before you buy it is good to ask some questions.
Let us know what you find out.

Lit

Postby Lit » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:25 pm

Thanks for the info, this prompted me to do a little more research.

So it looks like there are 4 different stock Armada springs, 2WD and 4WD for both LE and SE, with the SE w/Tow package being the same as the LE springs. This is what I found on www.courtesyparts.com.
Part # Description List Price
55020-ZQ00A COIL SPRING ARMADA; 2WD; SE; W/O TOW PACKAGE $86.11
55020-ZQ20A COIL SPRING ARMADA; 4WD; SE; W/O TOW PACKAGE $95.11
55020-ZQ00B COIL SPRING ARMADA; 2WD; SE; W/TOW PACKAGE $74.00 (Same Part # as the LE 2WD)
55020-ZQ20B COIL SPRING ARMADA; 4WD; SE; W/TOW PACKAGE $88.11 (Same Part # as the LE 4WD)

Do you know which Armada springs you got? From what I researched, it looks like the 4WD SE without tow package spring is the longest with the higher spring rate.

Here is what I have gathered from my research on the NAPA, O'reilly auto and Moog websites. I'm not sure why Nissan has four different springs but the aftermarket only has three (Same spring for SE and LE 2wd).

Armada:
SE and LE 2WD
ID - Inches 4.77
Bar Diameter - Inches 0.765
Installation Height - Inches 6.375
Free Height - Inches 15.375
Spring Rate - lbs per inch 460
Design Load - 1380

LE or SE with tow package 4WD
ID - Inches 4.77
Bar Diameter - Inches 0.765
Installation Height - Inches 6.375
Free Height - Inches 16.0625
Spring Rate - lbs per inch 460
Design Load - 1675

SE without Tow package 4WD
ID - Inches 4.77
Bar Diameter - Inches 0.812
Installation Height - Inches 7
Free Height - Inches 16.625
Spring Rate - lbs per inch 534
Design Load - 2207

It looks like there are three different Pathy springs, the V6 2WD, the V6 4WD and V8 2WD, or the V8 4WD.

Pathfinder:
V6 2WD
ID - Inches 4.82
Bar Diameter - Inches 0.72
Installation Height - Inches 6.32
Free Height - Inches 15.69
Spring Rate - lbs per inch 353
Design Load - 1415

V6 4wd or V8 2wd
ID - Inches 4.82
Free Height - Inches 16.25
Design Load - 1589

V8 4wd

ID - Inches 4.82
Free Height - Inches 16.63
Design Load - 1730

With this info, it shows that us with the V8 4WD Path likely will not get as much lift as the V6s and 2WDs are getting because we start out with a longer spring to begin with.

Note: I have not yet installed either to see how much lift, I am waiting on some other needed parts first..

I had already ordered the OME MD springs, so I decided to go ahead and order the "Armada SE 4x4 without tow package springs" to try them out as well.

The Armada SE w/o tow springs are the thickest bar compared to the OME and stock V8 4wd Path springs. The OME springs are the longest (17 3/8"), with the V8 4wd Path springs and the Armada SE w/o tow springs about the same length. The Path springs have 6.5 active coils, Armada SE has 8 and the OME has 8 also. Also, the Pathy and OME have about the same Outside Diameter and the Armada springs have a slightly larger outside diameter.

See comparison photos.
Sorry, it seems I do not know how to post photos...

http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/litda ... t=3&page=1

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:15 pm

Looks like im running the SE w/o tow package thickest i could find at 2k pounds

Im surprised how sturdy they looked but once installed i didnt feel so squishy to say just really responsive in the back with out any weight.
This weekend im going on a camping trip and will let you guys know how it does with it full of camping gear and poeple in the back.
I have about 80lbs of dead weight in the back all the time so maybe thats why it feels good for now.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:13 am

I've also been messing with the suspension since I got the pathy and this is great stuff!!!

Since I got the custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, it has definitely sagged back there. (Old HD springs with 1/2 a puck for an additional 1" of lift plus 40 lbs of air in the bags).
Rides ok but I could use a tall spring that can handle the weight.
Maybe the Armada spring is the answer! :D

Please post back and let us know how it works out.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:32 am

Touchdown wrote:I've also been messing with the suspension since I got the pathy and this is great stuff!!!

Since I got the custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, it has definitely sagged back there. (Old HD springs with 1/2 a puck for an additional 1" of lift plus 40 lbs of air in the bags).
Rides ok but I could use a tall spring that can handle the weight.
Maybe the Armada spring is the answer! :D

Please post back and let us know how it works out.
If you look at the specs on the inside diameter on the Armadas its a tad bit smaller. There for i tried stuffing my old airbags in them and couldnt get them to open up inside looks like they stretch to form the Pathy springs and the tighter Armadas they wont fit right.
I will try making them fit with some oil or wd-40 but no luck yet.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:43 am

Does Airlift offer bags for the Armada and are they the same part number?
(too busy at work to check...so I'm thinking out loud) :)

Fargo

Postby Fargo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:49 am

I'm looking at doing something with my 2011 Pathy for a trip this summer. Those Armada springs look like an interesting option. Looking at the pictures it looks like you got about 3/4" of height is that right? How do you feel about the ride, loaded and empty, now that you have had them for a little while. I'm really looking into airbags right now but those Armoda springs could be a good solution too. I don't really need more height, just a little more carrying capacity.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:52 am

I got a 1" lift with armada springs and 2" with the airbags.
Airbags dont give lift but but when combined they will.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:54 pm

Finally pulled the trigger on Heavy Duty Old Man Emu springs!
Got them installed today and they are stiffer and taller than the 4x4 parts old HD springs. The Aitlift 1000 bags fit right in no problem. Thumbs up! :D

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:07 am

I installed my old spring spacer in the rear and made it way too stiff lol im breaking the welds on my rancho shocks. I will be ordering longer bilsteins. About 16" fully extended and it will give me 3" more travel.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”