HD Coils for 2007 R51 need spring compressor?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

nVeeGreen

HD Coils for 2007 R51 need spring compressor?

Postby nVeeGreen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi everyone. I just installed the Rancho Quicklift Loaded Shocks on my 2007 Pathfinder SE 4WD and am waiting on the HD coils to be delivered from 4x4parts(Automotive Customizers) to raise the rear. My question is for anyone who installed the rear coils:

Did you need spring compressors to install the HD coils in the rear or was there enough room after lowering the lower link?

I can't find any discussions confirming the need for them but I would like to be more confident before I start. I read in a thread here that the MD coils are a tad shorter than the OEM coils, but can't find any reference to the HD vs OEM. 4x4parts website explicitly states that a coil spring compressor is needed for installation of HD and MD but the Nissan service manual doesn't say it's required for OEM.

I will post pics in a separate thread with the results of the completed lift next week. Right now, I have the Airlift 1000 keeping my springs up in the rear and I think the HD Coils might actually drop the height by half an inch.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:04 pm

Both times i removed the rear springs i didnt use one but i didnt use hd springs just stock armada springs which are 2" taller and 2 times as thick.
Before you install the HDs measure out overall height as im curious to compare.

nVeeGreen

HD springs

Postby nVeeGreen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:46 pm

Thanks for the response! I was reading your thread about the Armada springs and considered going that route too. Springs should be delivered on Thursday and I will post measurements and side-by-side pictures here and in a separate thread.

Did you run into any difficulty installing the Armada coils without a compressor?

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:18 pm

Installing the springs in the back was pretty easy for me all i did was have Pahy on jackstands put jack underneath outer spring arm. Remove the bolt for the arm and the shock. slowly lower the arm down. As you lower it just stand away from the spring and it should just fall out. To install just do process in reverse.
Bolts sometimes are more difficult in different cars so just make sure you have some wd-40 in hand.

nVeeGreen

Postby nVeeGreen » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:49 pm

I finished the installation of the rear HD coils from Automotive Customizers (4x4parts.com) and new Bilsteins last night. I measured the the HDs and they came in at 17" and the OEM coils were at 16". Overall, I have gained about 2.75" inches initially but after taking it into the desert and putting some good highway miles it's had a chance to settle down about an eighth inch. Here's some pics of the old stock coil next to the new Heavy Duty one:

It was pretty easy to remove and install the springs, although I did get a little nervous when I was jacking up the rear lower link with the HD spring in and getting it to line up with the knuckle as the coil was compressing a little and I had visions of it popping out of its seat and flying across the garage. That didn't happen and it was fairly easy to move the jack and lower link to line up the hole for the pinch bolt installation. Here's before and after pictures:

Old shock and Airlift in old coil:

After:

The HD coils are definitely thicker and stiffer than the stock. My original shocks were dead too as I could compress them by hand and they will not extend back out. I did not put the airbags back but we'll see what happens when I load the back up or when I tow.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Nice route but i think you will still want those airbags in there later down the road.
Those hd springs look alot like the Armada HD springs i em running.

silver x0ne

Postby silver x0ne » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:07 pm

I didn't need spring compressors but I have to say these springs are not heavy duty.. I'm not terribly happy with them but they are okay.

nVeeGreen

Postby nVeeGreen » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:18 pm

silver x0ne wrote:I didn't need spring compressors but I have to say these springs are not heavy duty.. I'm not terribly happy with them but they are okay.
Can you expand on your statement and give us some details?

nVeeGreen

Postby nVeeGreen » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:21 pm

Thupertrooper wrote:Nice route but i think you will still want those airbags in there later down the road.
Those hd springs look alot like the Armada HD springs i em running.
I kept the bags out at first but left the air line setup installed; I wanted to at least experience the springs without any assistance at first. Will let everyone know if I need them in after a big load. I did load up the Pathy this weekend with gear and kids and went to the lake and didn't notice any sag or ride quality. I should have measured the height before and after. Next time.

Diablo3662

Postby Diablo3662 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:52 pm

I have the rancho set up that's all adjustable . and the AC coils.. But its so bouncy any idea how to adjust them to make it less ?

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”