Monroe or KYB?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

00pathySE

Monroe or KYB?

Postby 00pathySE » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:04 pm

Looking at new shocks and struts. Want the kybs but don't want to mess around with compressing Springs. Monroe quick struts and oe spectrum shocks come as a set for a good price but I'm no sure about the quality. Also they have a tighter wound spring on the their quick struts than the stock spring. Wonder how the ride will end up being. Any thoughts?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:04 am

Many people have gone with Bilsteins, especially in the rear. The stock, KYB's in the front really aren't that bad. A few have gone with the quick-struts from Monroe and have been happy with them. I went with KYB Excel/G2's in the front and Bilstein HD's in the rear, with Airlift 1000 air bags.

jrobers

Postby jrobers » Sun May 01, 2016 11:16 am

I have the Monroe Quickstruts on the front and the KYB Gas a Justs on the rear, and im happy.

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Sun May 01, 2016 1:50 pm

I was just about to ask this question!
I am also considering the Monroe quick struts. I was thinking of saving up and just doing the Rancho Quick Lift with rancho rear shocks.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun May 01, 2016 5:48 pm

Rock auto has a deal on the Monroe quick struts. That along with the discount code 4319826139083105 you get 5% off.

I would have done the Monroe quickstrut deal, but got a stinkin great deal on some ZF/Sachs struts. Hopefully my springs are in good shape. I got these for $38 a piece.

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Mon May 02, 2016 7:41 am

jrobers wrote:I have the Monroe Quickstruts on the front and the KYB Gas a Justs on the rear, and im happy.
I was thinking about this setup. Did you notice any difference in ride quality one way or another with the quick struts? I used Monroe struts years ago on my old Pathfinder and the ride was worse than the old original struts I had in and they didn't last very long. But that was about 10 years ago so thing have changed since then in sure.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon May 02, 2016 3:04 pm

I wish KYB would make Quick Struts...

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Tue May 03, 2016 3:49 am

I recommend the Monroe quick strut for the front for sure. I did them about a year ago and am not disappointed.

Get an alignment as well afterwards and expect about 3/4 inch lift in the front as well.

They ride much better than stock and are the easiest of all the suspension parts on our trucks to change out in the driveway.

I could pull them off and have a new one on in 45 mins.

The rear shocks are hard because the bolts are hard to get a grip on, the rear springs are pretty easy to change but not as easy as the front.

just my experience.

jrobers

Postby jrobers » Fri May 13, 2016 9:16 pm

My ride is a lot stiffer in the back. She does seem to handle a bit better. Im very satisfied.

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:26 pm

smj999smj wrote:Many people have gone with Bilsteins, especially in the rear. The stock, KYB's in the front really aren't that bad. A few have gone with the quick-struts from Monroe and have been happy with them. I went with KYB Excel/G2's in the front and Bilstein HD's in the rear, with Airlift 1000 air bags.
How do you like the Bilstein's? I've had gas a justs before and they were definitely stiffer than oem, but I was happy with them. Trying to decide between the two

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:28 pm

jrobers wrote:My ride is a lot stiffer in the back. She does seem to handle a bit better. Im very satisfied.
How are the Monroe Quickstruts working out for you? Are you still pleased?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:43 pm

00pathySE wrote:
smj999smj wrote:Many people have gone with Bilsteins, especially in the rear. The stock, KYB's in the front really aren't that bad. A few have gone with the quick-struts from Monroe and have been happy with them. I went with KYB Excel/G2's in the front and Bilstein HD's in the rear, with Airlift 1000 air bags.
How do you like the Bilstein's? I've had gas a justs before and they were definitely stiffer than oem, but I was happy with them. Trying to decide between the two
I'm happy with the Bilsteins. Honestly, I noticed a lot more difference when installing the Airlift 1000 air bags than I did with the rear struts. Bilsteins are the popular choice in the rear, but, like the Bilsteins, the KYB Gas-a-justs and the Monroe Reflex are also monotube designs, so I'm not sure if there is a noticeable difference in performance between them. People who have installed the Reflex shocks seems to be happy with them. The one thing I can say about the Bilsteins is that they look better; there's no mistaking a Bilstein shock with that bright yellow and blue coloring....but, then again, who looks at your shocks?

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:28 pm

I am considering the Monroe oe spectrum as well, but they are actually a twin tube oe replacement as per Monroe website (you got my hopes up, so I double checked).

What psi do you run your airbags at just driving around unloaded? Do they do anything at a low psi? Another option could be the less expensive monroes with the airbags to help rather than a monotube.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:07 am

If your factory rear shocks are not leaking nor show any signs of loss in performance, you mind as well just leave them if you are considering replacing them with twin-tube design shocks. Monotube shocks offer better performance and heat dissipation and are an upgrade over twin-tubes.
I keep my air bags around 13 PSI during everyday driving. I check the pressure with a digital gauge once every month but they never seem to lose any air. They definitely improve the ride over bumps. The rear suspension of the R51s is a bit soft and even modest bumps in the road will cause the rear suspension to bottom out. The air bags prevent that from happening and deaden the blow quite a bit.

jrobers

Postby jrobers » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:54 am

I'm still happy with my ride. Its been 4-5 months now

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”