Upper Control Arm Removal Drivers Side

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Tush

Upper Control Arm Removal Drivers Side

Postby Tush » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:08 pm

Hi All,

Attempting to remove the upper control arm on the drivers side of a 2005 Pathfinder. The right side control arm bolt cannot be removed without disconnecting the steering shaft. Question is, where do I disconnect the shaft? There is a connection above and to the right of the bolt I am trying to remove. Do I disconnect here or down lower at the steering rack?

Cheers
Tush

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:47 pm

You would loosen the upper bolt and remove the lower bolt, then slide the shaft up to disengage the steering rack and pinion. Then you can remove the shaft out of your way.

Tush

Postby Tush » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:15 am

Thanks for the reply. I did exactly that, however once I removed the pinch bolt from the lower joint at the steering rack, I couldn't get the shaft to move as it was seized on the pinion. Fortunately, with a little persuasion, I was able to get the bolt out and back in with just the top joint undone and swung out of the way.

This has been a challenging project with pretty much everything rusted and seized. It's no wonder since its been winter driven in the salt for the past 10 years. Lower control arm bushings had to be cut off, lower strut bolts and even 3 of the 6 upper strut nuts had to be cut off as the just spun..oh, stabilizer links too had to be cut off....

Anyway, passenger side is back together. Drivers side should be back together by end of day.

Cheers
Tush

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:12 pm

Just make sure to install the steering shaft the exact way it came out so your steering wheel isnt un aligned and throws traction control codes.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”