What is the rough cost of a suspension job?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

merrion13

What is the rough cost of a suspension job?

Postby merrion13 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:20 am

I'm getting near 100K on my Pathfinder and deciding what to do with it (keep it, or get something newer).

There are several items I'm going to have to replace if I keep it, and one of them is the suspension. I've never owned a car where I've been through this process, so I'm looking for guidance on what to expect. Here is what I'm thinking I'd do:
-Stock replacement, front and rear
-From what I understand, shocks & struts?
-Bushings, sway bar links, etc?

Can anyone guide me on what I should expect considering I'll need to have a local shop perform the work?

Many thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:09 pm

You only need to replace those parts that need to be replaced. While it is a good idea to replace the front struts and rear shocks when they get high mileage on them, bushings and links need only be replaced when there is something wrong with them (excessive play, splitting, etc.). It wouldn't hurt to get a reputable shop to give your steering and suspension an overall inspection and quote on the work you need. RepairPal.com has an estimator for vehicle repair that can give you an idea of what a repair would cost in your area (remember that labor rates vary depending on where you live):

www.repairpal.com/estimator

Personally, I would go with Bilstein HD rear shocks; they are an upgrade over stock units. KYB Excels/GR2 front struts are a stock replacement and KYB is the OE supplier to Nissan. If you don't have them, already, Airlift 1000 air bags in the rear is an inexpensive upgrade and well worth the money for the improvement in ride they provide. Also, front sway bar mount bushings have a common failure issue that was corrected by Nissan later on. The bushings from Nissan are also inexpensive and the redesign keeps the bar from pushing through the split in the bushing and contacting the crossmember.

merrion13

Postby merrion13 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:42 pm

Thanks smj...if I'm paying a shop for the labor, does it not make sense to also have bushings etc done pro-actively considering it will save me on labor (vs them going back in on a 2nd job) while they're replacing shocks?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:33 pm

Exactly which bushings are you talking about? For sway bar mount bushings, it doesn't really overlap; however, the bushings are cheap and they can be replaced in 30 minutes, so the cost is not that much. If you are referring to control arm bushings, it makes more sense to replace the entire control arm, which adds a lot more expense; but, if there's nothing wrong with them, it makes no sense to replace them until they are bad due to the cost. Most shops will do a free front end inspection, so, it would make sense to get the shop to see what the condition is and give you your options.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:21 am

Of course the challenge these days is finding a shop that wants to do suspension work and is qualified enough to tell if something is wrong. In Maryland, anyway.

I usually get an answer like, "My tech gazed in the general direction of your car from across the parking lot and noted that your shocks aren't leaking but your engine could use a $300 flange torquing. We just financed a new machine." Or, "We don't really have the time to get into suspension work. It's too hard."

You have to visit multiple shops and average the responses you get.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”