Installing new suspention

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

montanacruiser

Installing new suspention

Postby montanacruiser » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:38 pm

Hi all looking for a little advice. I have a 2005 pathfinder that the old struts are leaking and worn out. Was going to do a front strut and spring assembly and new struts in back. Was wondering if it might be a good idea to change out the rear springs as well? Also was kinda thinking about maybe lifting it. Is there brands that i should look into?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:52 am

first you need to decide if and/or how high you want to lift it. you also have the option of suspension and/or body lift. what kind of off-roading do you plan to do and how much of your driving will be on the highway or daily driver use. knowing that, the forum can help u out much better. you might also want to check out 4x4parts.com and check out what they have for ur Pathy.

montanacruiser

Postby montanacruiser » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:24 am

My wife would just like to give it a face lift i guess. We use my truck to go up in the woods mainly. If i were to lift i would probably do the ome because i have had good luck with the brand. If i do lift from what i have read on here you have to change some bolts out? Is there a good thread or video on lifting and the bolts for 2005? I looked and its hard to find much info on these rigs. If i were to just replace staying same height. I found kyb sr4203 for the front and 345056 for rear with a moog 81119 spring. Is the kyb and moog good brands?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

montanacruiser

Postby montanacruiser » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:41 am

The pathfinder is a daily driver that sees the highway every once in a while. She cant get a new rig for a while so she just wants it to look different i guess. I know its silly to lift for looks but there it is. Would keep it 2" and under. Also is there other parts i should consider changing while i am in there?
Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:21 pm

If going stock, KYB GR-2/Excel-G are essentially a direct stock replacement, as KYB makes the OE struts/shocks on this vehicle. The front suspension is pretty good on these vehicles, whereas the rear suspension tends to be too soft and can bottom out over large bumps. For a long time, the "thing to do" was to replace the rear shocks with Bilstein 4600's and install Airlift 1000 air bags. Later, Moog came out with better, stock-replacement coil springs that were a bit stiffer and much improved over the stock, Nissan springs. Now, if you replace the rear springs with Moogs, you can still install the Airlift 1000 air bags, if you wish, which would be beneficial if you tow or haul a heavy load of people and gear. Otherwise, I'd probably skip them. Getting back to the front struts, I would spend a little more and get KYB Strut-plus "quick struts." It will come fully assembled with a new strut, spring, mount and bearing...ready to install and with a limited-lifetime warranty. It saves all that spring swapping and Rockauto usually has them in stock for a decent price. If you're not in a rush, KYB often has rebates on 2 and 4 strut/spring purchases.

If you go that route, you could just add a 2" spacer kit for the front and rear. It works and is easy to install. As with any suspension upgrade, whether just replacing stock height or lifted components, a 4-wheel alignment should be performed. Now, when you do a 2" or greater lift, it gets difficult to get the rear camber alignment in spec. Two-inches really puts it at the limits, so you "may" be able to get it into alignment. If not, then the answer is installing rear control arm bushings with an elongated slot to help get the extra range when adjusting the rear alignment. I believe 4x4parts.com has them. Make sure if you get them, you get the ones for US and Canadian R51 Pathfinders; the ones for Australian models are different. Now, about those bolts...

First, 2006+ Pathfinders usually don't come from the factory with eccentric caster/camber bolts. So, if they are just straight bolts with round washers, you will likely need to replace one or both sides on the front control arms with a caster/camber bolt kit. IMO, genuine Nissan bolts are the best to get, but you have to purchase them as individual parts (from Nissan)....or, I believe you can get them in one set from 4x4parts. There is a sticky on this forum I did that has the part numbers, if you go the piece route through Nissan. Expect to pay around $70-80 for the whole kit, both arms. Aftermarket kits are cheaper...and not as good in quality. The one exception to a certain degree is PRG; their kit is similar in design to aftermarket kits, not having the eccentric washer as part of the bolt like Nissan's, but they seem to be not as soft as the lesser, aftermarket kits, and they do seem to offer a hair more adjustment range over Nissan. The rear control arms will have the eccentric bolts from the factory. Now, there is another problem; sometimes, especially with those vehicles that exist in salt states, the control arm bolts will rust and seize to the steel sleeves in the control arm bushings, which may require cutting the bolts out to replace them (Sawzalls work well for this job). Many times, rather than replace the control arm bushings in the arms, people will replace the entire control arm assembly, as aftermarket arms are usually not too expensive and some offer a limited-lifetime warranty. It also means they won't have to do the task of removing the old bushings and pressing in new ones. However, if you are going with the bushings with the elongated slots, then you'll have to do that, regardless. Replacing the arms also makes sure you get a straight arm, as sometimes you can always see a small "tweak" in an arm due to a suspension-damaging incident in the vehicle's past.

As far as other brands, OME is good, but each has their own pros and cons. There are plenty of suspension threads at this site you can search for. Personally, as well as some others, I don't recommend Calmini products. It's not that the product is bad, but more because of bad service. There have been a lot of complaints regarding delayed shipping and rude customer service when it comes to Calmini. Bistein is often the strut/shock of choice on many of these lift kits, as is Rancho to some degree. Those that go this route will often say the ride tends to be harsher than stock, so that may not be to your...and, more important, your wife's, liking. So, the KYB/Bilstein 4600/Moog coils/2" spacers may be the best way to go in your case, as the ride will be closer to stock. That said, tires can and will also greatly affect the ride quality. Most install bigger, more aggressive tires with a lift, so that's another thing to think about! Tire noise can also be an issue, as well, with more aggressive tires.

montanacruiser

Postby montanacruiser » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:48 am

Thanks i really appreciate it. I am just going to do the Moog and kyb. Hopefully it goes smooth. Again i really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”