OME Suspension Upgrade FINISHED

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

blink32
Sponsored Member

OME Suspension Upgrade FINISHED

Postby blink32 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:23 am

So I finally got it the suspension ordered and delivered. I've had the part numbers since back in November but ARB USA hasn't stocked them until recently. In-fact none of their distributors even had the OME part numbers in their computer systems yet when I called to order. But on the 19th I called up http://www.4x4connection.com (I highly recommend these guys, quick, courteous and available by phone & email), placed my order over the phone and yesterday the glory arrived.

I went with the Light Load springs in the front and Mediums out back. I didn't do this intentionally, the publication I received from OME Australia didn't list the springs as light & med so I associated it the same as the rears, med & heavy. I don't expect this to be an issue unless I opt to go with a heavy bumper and/or winch setup which is highly doubtful. There is only one model of struts and shocks.
Front: 2ea OME607 (springs $62.95 ea) & N183S (struts $120 ea)
Rear: 2ea OME609 (springs $62.95 ea) & N184 (shocks $84 ea)
I believe the prices were a little below list because I was quoted a different price at another shop. Tack on $77.96 for shipping and the grand total was $737.76 . A fair price if the products hold up to their name.

As time goes on I will get side by side shots of the components after removing the stock pieces so sizes and what not can be compared. But on to the pictures of what I have received. The bushings in the shocks/struts are not poly, just black rubber painted at the same time as the shock hence the color.

Last edited by blink32 on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

bender031

Postby bender031 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:48 am

Nice- keep us posted, looks like top quality products.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:19 am

Hopefully the weekend weather holds out and I can upgrade at-least the rears if not the entire package. Cold I can deal with, its the snow that might be blowing through that will make working in the driveway difficult.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:51 am

blink32 wrote:Hopefully the weekend weather holds out and I can upgrade at-least the rears if not the entire package. Cold I can deal with, its the snow that might be blowing through that will make working in the driveway difficult.
Great! Can't wait how it turns out. According to the box, it says 'Long Travel Shocks', but it could be generic labeling. As soon as you can verify that the shocks are indeed longer, I will order mine through 4x4Connections immediately. Even if they were not longer, the OME setup would be a major upgrade regardless.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:05 am

I can't wait to see your final write-up. Hope it drives well afterwards.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:11 am

I should be able to get it done this weekend. Looks like snow will be out of here late tonight/tomorrow and into the 30's for the weekend.

marked001

Postby marked001 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:21 am

..so i'm guessing you are going to get some lift out of this, right? not gonna know how much til its all on..or?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:35 am

marked001 wrote:..so i'm guessing you are going to get some lift out of this, right? not gonna know how much til its all on..or?
Its pretty much universally agreed that you end up in the neighbor hood of 2" of lift. But I personally have 2 separate print documents from ARB Australia stating different heights. One says 15mm/30mm F/R, another says 30mm/40mm F/R. That works out to be about a 1.2 and 1.6 inch rise respectively. When a buddy and I put an OME on his FJ the rating was something modest like 3" but he ended up netting around 5". Maybe it will settle a bit with time?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:07 pm

I'd just like to say thanks for the pictures so far. That really proves that you will have a great writeup and even more pictures (hopefully over the weekend). I'm assuming you will be taking measurements before and after? I'm really looking forward to your results, as I have been following all the various forum threads concerning the OME springs.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:17 pm

NVSteve, no problem. Pretty much everyone on here likes to share their experiences. I will definitely post all the Good AND Bad I can find in this kit as soon as I start tearing into it tomorrow night.

Good reminder on the measuring. I have oversized tires but I'm going to measure the before and after wheel well gap as well as some universal frame point and the distance to my driveway. I'll try to keep it all relatively in the same spot. Then after a realignment and a short drive to settle everything in I'll remeasure and post those findings as well. I probably won't be done with the install until sometime Sunday then who knows when I'll get the alignment done :-/ . Gotta love working two jobs.

bender031

Postby bender031 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:24 pm

blink- i think some of us are more excited than you, keep us posted, good luck with the conversion, and don't forget those measurements and pics along the way!

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:26 pm

I'll try not too. Now its looking like super cold here this weekend. I am going to try to start tonight. I hear its going to be a rain/sleet mix though. Will know in 20 mins though. :)

blink32
Sponsored Member

Actual Progress.......kind of

Postby blink32 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:42 pm

So its pretty cold, light fading and starting to rain/snow mix. I'm going to use this thread as my not pad of sorts so some of this may ramble and not make much sense. All I have done so far is take measurements and create registration marks on the frame and the concrete so I can replicate where I parked and what points on the ground I put the tape measure and the cooresponding points I measured to on the frame. I will also not be removing or adding anything to the interior, no gas fillups, no messing with the air pressure in the tires and lastly I'll have to measure the heights when the tires are cool.

How I measured was from the concrete driveway to the top of the wheel well and to the points I chose on the frame all after bouncing the suspension several times. I measured each spot two different times. In this case I used a point on the hitch and where the serial/part number is stamped on the radiator skid plate. For the frame points I used the curve of the tape measure so its not accurate, but I just need to replicate the method to determine the realized gain.

Heights as follow:
Pax Front : 35 1/8"
Drv Front : 35 7/16"
Pax Rear : 35 1/16"
Drv Rear : 35"
Skid Plt : 10.5"
Hitch : 19 5/8"

Again, these are my numbers from my way of measuring and are not an accurate representation of what the factory specs are.

Tommorrow morning I should be able to start the good stuff.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:14 pm

blink,

Don't forget to measure the wheel travel as well, before and after.

Thx

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:27 pm

I guess I could measure it at full droop when I jack it up aye? Then I could jack up by the lower link and see how much compression i can get out of it. That should work right?

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”