Wobbles?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

nickCR

Wobbles?

Postby nickCR » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:30 am

Had a problem coming back from the beach after driving on dirt roads for about 30 min, then 30 min on asphalt an hour ferry ride and finally 10 min after the ferry at about 110 km/h all of a sudden the car had a massive vibration. It felt like it came from the front right but I can't figure out if that's it or not.

I took it to Nissan, they checked everything and there didn't seem to an obvious problem. There was this part that they replaced called a transmission bar cross that they claim was a little worn out and could cause the vibration, but I don't know. They also mentioned that the main cabin bushings in the front are worn and should be replace (but that really just causes a rather hard metal sound when hidding a hard bump).

I recently changed the tires, filled them with nitrogen and balanced. Ofcourse I also had the alignment done. So I dunno i'm not sure what the problem is. Any ideas?

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Wobbles?

Postby disallow » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:06 am

nickCR wrote:I took it to Nissan, they checked everything and there didn't seem to an obvious problem. There was this part that they replaced called a transmission bar cross that they claim was a little worn out and could cause the vibration, but I don't know. They also mentioned that the main cabin bushings in the front are worn and should be replace (but that really just causes a rather hard metal sound when hidding a hard bump).
I assume the problem hasn't gone away.

How about a worn driveshaft u-joint?

t

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:28 pm

transmission bar cross = transmission mount?

Is the vibration constant or intermittant?

nickCR

Postby nickCR » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:38 am

The vibration that i descrine only happened twice. Once it happened on the way back from the trip. I felt it first on a slight bend and i guess we slowd down and it went away, i thought it was problem with the road. Then a few km later on a slight upward curve the vibration happened again an it was really strong. I stopped got out of the car and went to the front right where i thought the problem was and tried to see if i could fell any play by pushing the tire left/right, up/down. Obviously the wheel didnt move as it was on jacks and there was no play that i could feel. From there it didnt happen again until a few days later and it was only momentary. I have not experienced the problem again but nissan was guessing. So im just getting prepared for if it does happen again what theproblem might be.

Not sure of the name of what they replaced. The name given was the translation from spanish but it looked like a bug metal +.

Edit: My faith is restored in the dealership as it turns out they replaced this piece: http://www.courtesyparts.com/37125ka-jo ... 68195.html

So seems they changed a u-joint :)

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”