Ride height, help please!

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Supergohan

Ride height, help please!

Postby Supergohan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:01 am

Can anyone please tell me the stock ride height of the rear end/bumper/wheel wells for a 2002 pathfinder le 4x4 (don't know if it makes a difference). I just purchased it (136k miles) knowing it needed shocks but i didnt know how bad they were, i know now that they need replacement alot sooner than i thought but I'm short on cash at the moment so I have to leave it be for right now. when I opened up the filler plug on the transfer case to change the fluid, probably about an 1/8th to 1/4 quart of fluid came out, so much so that I know it could not have been overfilled and quickly plugged up. I measured the front end and compared it to the rear (wheel well height) and the rear end sat almost two inches lower than the front (front was 33 1/2, rear was 31 5/8ths) but i dont know what the rear end should be at. for right now I just wanna jack up the rear a little to put it at the right height so when I refill the transfer case it isn't too little but I have no idea what I should bring it up to. If anyone can help it would be outstanding as right now I don't feel safe filling the transfer case back up knowing I can't put at least the same amount of fluid back in! Please help! Thank you!!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:09 am

Springs control the height of the vehicle, not shocks. Shocks control the rebound. I'm not familiar with models prior to 2006 but the newer ones also sag in the butt and many (myself included) have corrected with airbags (sub $100 fix). So that could be typical of the PF from that year or you could have worn springs. Chances are the shocks are bad as well but that's not impacting the height. You could jack the differential so that it's level and then change the fluid.

Supergohan

Postby Supergohan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:04 pm

Thank you! But I've raised it to 36 in the rear with 33 inches in the front, as I was refilling it I could only put 1.75 quarts in whereas the service book lists it at 3.2 quarts and what I got out was right around 3 (hard to tell cause a good amount spilled as I wasn't expecting it) but its at 2.75 in the jug I have, so do I keep jacking the truck up until I can get the 3.2 quarts in or do I just let it be?

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”