Air Bags VS Timbren Suspension kit for towing

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

marc515

Air Bags VS Timbren Suspension kit for towing

Postby marc515 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:04 am

Been reading numerous posts here on air bags, and was planning on getting them this spring. However, I just stumbled upon the Timbren suspension kits.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php ... ts_id=3058

My main problem is my steep driveway. I would have to let the air out to bring the camper down to the street, un hook the camper, inflate the air bags, and then hook up the camper and WDH.

The other concern I have with the air bags is I will have to readjust my WDH settings.

So I'm thinking that the Timbren might be a good solution for my circumstance, and would not require readjusting my WDH.

Have any of you guys used them?

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:32 pm

Um...why would you need to deflate the air bags? Wouldn't increased ride height help you get in and out of a steep angle?

If you're concerned about adjusting ride height, then you can always use a yard stick to make sure the rear is leveled with the air pressure, rather than what most people here do (inflate based on feel). The Timbren would absolutely result in decreased rear ride height in static conditions on flat ground, plus lack adjustment.

Really, the air bags don't result in much change in ride height unloaded though. I'm having trouble imaging how it would change enough to matter?

marc515

Postby marc515 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:52 pm

ShipFixer wrote:Um...why would you need to deflate the air bags? Wouldn't increased ride height help you get in and out of a steep angle?

If you're concerned about adjusting ride height, then you can always use a yard stick to make sure the rear is leveled with the air pressure, rather than what most people here do (inflate based on feel). The Timbren would absolutely result in decreased rear ride height in static conditions on flat ground, plus lack adjustment.

Really, the air bags don't result in much change in ride height unloaded though. I'm having trouble imaging how it would change enough to matter?
Withe the camper connected at the top of my driveway, the PF drops a little in the rear. Going down the driveway, that small drop helps to drop the front of the camper while pushing the rear of the camper up a little so it doesn't drag the driveway as bad.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:21 pm

I'd think a little air in the bags (like 5 psi) would help you as much as the Timbren and allow you to get in and out. And give you the option of bumping it up later.

I can tell you that even empty (no psi, cap on) the air bags make a difference and reduce bottoming/body roll. I'd rather have this than what look like giant bump stops.

In the end I'm thinking that a few minutes of inconvenience in your driveway shouldn't keep you from the bags. I use a single valve rather than two and use a bicycle pump to adjust air pressure. The volume of the bags is small and it's not huge changes in pressure. Literally takes seconds to adjust. I vary mine between 5-7 psi (no load) and 25 psi (heavy load plus fully loaded bike rack) and it's impressed me with how well it works. Think everyone here who tows with them really like them.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”