Air Bags/Air Lift

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

FreQ

Air Bags/Air Lift

Postby FreQ » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:58 pm

how do these work? I know they go inside your coil spring but do they have a pump and inflate from in the truck or do you have to inflate and deflate manually? Pros and Cons? I dont do much towing will they even do any justice?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:06 pm

Most around here seem to love them even if they don't tow. My handles/rides much better with them. I just have a manual setup...I have a portable compressor but honestly I rarely adjust them. You could get an automatic system but that would be major overkill IMHO.

BattleWagon

Postby BattleWagon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:27 pm

FreQ

Postby FreQ » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:21 pm

does it add lift or just stability?

BattleWagon

Postby BattleWagon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:09 pm

About 3/4" of lift for me, wasn't my intention though. Body roll is cut down but the bumps are a little rough now.

Good mod overall.

FreQ

Postby FreQ » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:14 pm

hmmm might have to look around then.. they seemed inexpensive so I was kinda leery about them

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:39 pm

Best $80 you can spend on a PF.....I've had mine at least two years with no issues. If I did have an issue....I'd replace them with the same.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:59 pm

I have the Firestone Coil-Rite air bags and agree with skinny2 and battlewagon, the Pathfinder rides better and there is less body roll. I do tow and they make a big difference for rear end sag. Even if you do not tow but carry a lot of weight, in the rear cargo area or have a bike rack, loaded with bikes, they will help a lot. I keep them inflated around 10 psi, for city driving and around 15 to 20 psi for long highway trips. Best mod, for the money. Here is where I mounted the valves.
Image[/img]

Lord Farquaad

Postby Lord Farquaad » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:30 pm

One thing to remember with the Airlift is that it screws up your articulation and therefore traction in tricky off-road situations. This means that the "lift" you get with the airbag can not effectively be used in serious off-road situations. The airbag grips the coil and prevents it from extending and retracting as it would under normal situations. When the going gets tough and you start losing traction, deflate the airbags. I have learned this the hard way. :D

For on-road stability and towing it is invaluable. Best buy ever.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:11 pm

Lord Farquaad wrote:One thing to remember with the Airlift is that it screws up your articulation and therefore traction in tricky off-road situations. This means that the "lift" you get with the airbag can not effectively be used in serious off-road situations. The airbag grips the coil and prevents it from extending and retracting as it would under normal situations. When the going gets tough and you start losing traction, deflate the airbags. I have learned this the hard way. :D

For on-road stability and towing it is invaluable. Best buy ever.

yup, exactly what he said on both accounts.

if you're doing some serious offroading where you're disconnecting your swaybars (i need a quick disconnect for my rear) and airing down your tires, then dump the air out of these too. 'regular' offroading shouldn't be a problem with these aired up though.

but for on road, they're pretty amazing. you can definitely tightens up the back end, however it does make bumps in the back a little rougher.

i also get about a 1/2 lift in the back when i have them aired all the way up (which is where i keep them all the time).

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:48 am

Pretty much what everybody here has already said. They really do improve the handling of the vehicle on road. I run mine right at 28psi and I have really cut down on body roll and generally smoothed the ride out. A good friend of mine described my Pathfinder as being very stoic when turning and he is used to driving a sports car. I also live down a dirt road and have had no problems with them being overly shocky or with wearing out from rough travel.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”