Suspension Arms and Body Bushings?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

nickCR

Suspension Arms and Body Bushings?

Postby nickCR » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:41 pm

Hello All,

I have my car in the agency for the 100K service. They also said they found wear on the suspension arms (the rolls/bearings) and body bushings. They want to replace the suspension arms and quoted me $400 each side + labor ($250 total) and $200 for the body bushings + labor ($50).

Does anyone have any experience with these repairs? I'm trying to find out if they are just throwing in some non-essential repairs to jack up the price. I know the body bushings should get changed so I'll probably do those.

The full quote is $3200 so I'm trying to make sure that only essential issues get fixed.

Anyway thanks in advance!

Nick

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:46 pm

There are how to's on how to do both. Did they say you need rear control arms, or just front? If just front, there's a great how to on thenewx forum.

The control arms themselves don't really die unless severely rusted, and PRG sells a tool to remove the bushing so you can press in another one since that's really the only wear item.

Also, doctahjones did a write-up on how to replace the body bushings for the front 2 at least.

nickCR

Postby nickCR » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply. Apparently the arms that are bad are the back ones which have ball joints attached to them and according to the dealership the ball joint can't be replaced on it's own. Great to hear that the bushings can be replaced.

I'm definitely not capable of doing a job like this. I'll leave it to the mechanics but I just want to make sure that I'm not being taken for a ride. They said that they are worn but could have another 6 months to a year of life. So I think I'll hold off on changing them and it will give me a chance to get to the bottom of what they are talking about.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”