Alignment time

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Alignment time

Postby disallow » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:18 am

Hey everyone,

So I need to get an alignment before I buy new tires (see this thread: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=9858). For sure the front, as I think I may have buggered up my Toe In/Out when I changed my outer tie rod end, but also want to check the rear and get it adjusted if necessary.

Item 1: 2 years ago, when I tried to align the rear, I was told they could not adjust the bolts as they were firmly rusted in place.

For the past 2 weeks, I have been applying Zep 45 penetrating oil to the rear camber/castor bolts, in the hopes that they will loosen enough to allow adjustment. Not sure if this is wishful thinking, but it does look like there is a hole in the bolt head, and a slot in the bolt to allow lubricant into the thread, or at least thats what it looks like to me.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If they can't align the rears again, I will at least have them shoot it so I can see if there is a major issue that requires me to replace the rear control arms.

Item 2: I have the Airlift 1000 air bags on my truck. I assume I should air the bags down all the way before getting the alignment checked/adjusted, as the height of the bags will affect the camber of the wheels because of the way the IRS system works. Any thoughts on this, and is my plan to air the bags down sound?

Thanks!
t

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:00 pm

sucks about item1, i don't have any experience with that, although i've heard that i'm really close to not having any more room to align.

as for item 2, i would have your airbags inflated to whatever you have them at -most- of the time, since the alignment will be set for whatever you keep it at. if you air down, get an alignment, then air back up, your camber will not be in spec since you changed the suspension geometry due to the inflated bag.

for me i always keep them at 32psi because i like the stiffness in the back. now it does cause some bounce and some people don't like that so they keep their bags at lower psi's. but back to the point, when i get an alignment i have my bags at 32psi.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:20 pm

Same here. I have the alignment done with the bags inflated to their normal amount (25psi for me).

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:27 pm

My thoughts on this are that when the pathy is up on the rack, its not loaded down at all. When I'm barreling down the highway with 200lbs of kids, and 400lbs of adult, the load will be applied, and thats when the airbags really matter.

Also, I only really pump them up when towing my 28ft RV. I see them as a way to keep the alignment true while towing.

I will take all of your advise, and at least leave some of the air in them. But jury is still out as to whether they will be able to adjust the alignment at all anyways. I'm gonna go spray some more penetrant on the bolts tonight.

t

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:18 pm

disallow wrote:My thoughts on this are that when the pathy is up on the rack, its not loaded down at all. When I'm barreling down the highway with 200lbs of kids, and 400lbs of adult, the load will be applied, and thats when the airbags really matter.
t

but do you -always- have 200lbs of kids and 400lbs of adults in the car when going down the road? because if you do, then you'd need to get your car aligned with them (or weights) in the car!

and then what about if you didn't have the airbags at all? using your logic you'd be screwed either way!

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”