2012 Pathfinder tranny fluid

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

pathy-logical

2012 Pathfinder tranny fluid

Postby pathy-logical » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:52 pm

Hello all. I'm hoping disallow is on here, I would especially like his input on this question. I'm about to embark on a roundtrip, Eastern US trip. Total mileage should be 3-4K miles.
2012 Pathfinder S, V6 purchased with 46K miles in 2016, now at 92K. I've towed a 10' cargo trailer, maybe 2000lbs, several times with no troubles. Will be installing Air Lift 1000 bags, Trailridge extendable mirrors, electric brake control (forget the brand), tires are Michelin Defender LTX 265/70-16, Reese WD hitch with sway control.

Trailer is a Jayco 25-1/2', 2-axles, 5500lbs GVWR, pass thru is in front of the axles, battery and 2x20lb bottles on the tongue.

Bought the truck off a lot with no records but it was cleeeeeeen. Original owner had passed away, family traded the truck to a dealer. So I was thinking I should maybe have the tranny fluid and filter changed before I make the trip. The fluid level is right on the cold mark before startup and right on the hot mark after driving up to normal operating temp. The fluid is colorless, so clear I can barely see it on the stick, and does not smell burned. In fact I'd say it's odorless. I hesitate to have someone work on it and end up with a problem midway through my trip, you know if it ain't broke don't fix it. Right now I have no leaks at all under the truck.

So two questions. Do I have enough truck to pull the hills, GA, SC, NC, VA, PA, NY, maybe on up to ME?
Should I change the tranny fluid? Diff fluid was changed last year when a seal was replaced. I'm in SWFL if anyone would like to recommend a shop.

Thanks.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: 2012 Pathfinder tranny fluid

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:31 pm

I am not disallow :) but the tranny fluid should not be colorless.
The red gets destroyed by heat at approximately the same rate as the fluids ability to work and protect properly.

Change it.

However..
I had a bad experience with getting a dealer flush.
My recommendation ( and that of many others) is to simply drain the pan.
refill back the exact amount of fluid ( measure what came out!).
This is only about half the fluid but will go a long way to refreshing your ATF w/o the risk inherent in a flush.

Then a couple weeks later do it again.

I cannot answer the questions about the towing part.
We had a member overheat recently his tranny.. but he was towing a greater amount
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=20721

pathy-logical

Postby pathy-logical » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:08 am

palmerwmd,
Thanks for the reply. Any auto trans fluid I've seen before was pink when fresh, always had an odor and got darker with use. Could always tell by the smell if the trans had overheated. I'm ashamed to say I haven't checked it before in this vehicle. Never had a problem so planned on changing at 100K. The idea of a trailer has been bouncing around for a year or so but recent happenings caused us to move up our plans.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:01 am

Don't be too concerned about the trans fluid looking "colorless." NissanMatic Type "J" and "S" ATF differ in appearance that what we are usually used to in regards of automatic transmission fluid. On the dipstick, it'll look clear or a very pale, pink color. When you drain it into a container, it'll look dark brown, almost like burnt ATF. This is characteristic of the fluid. The ATF is synthetic, so it will last longer than conventional ATF. Nissan typically recommends just "inspections" at 15,000 mile intervals; that basically means check every 15,000 miles until it looks discolored or due for service. Obviously, if you are towing, you may want to be a little more proactive in the trans service. I usually replace mine every 50,000-60,000 miles and I use Valvoline Maxlife "Full-synthetic" ATF, which I get from Walmart at $18/gallon jug, which is what you'll need for a drain and fill service. The drain plug gasket is Nissan # 11026-01M02. The drain plug is 19MM and torque spec. is 25 lb-ft. No reason to drop the pan because there is no "filter," per se, just a screen. If you want to flush, you can do so by disconnecting the trans cooler hose on the driver's side and route into a drain pan while capping the metal line going back to the trans. Start the engine and as the ATF drains out, add new fluid into the dipstick tube to replace it; you'll need about 12 quarts, or 3-one gallon jugs. With subsequent trans services using Maxlife, you'll notice the ATF will look more like the traditional "cherry red" color on both the dipstick and when drained.

For towing info, look into the 2012 Nissan Towing Guide:

https://cubedriver.com/download/2012-ni ... -guide.pdf

pathy-logical

Postby pathy-logical » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:53 pm

Thanks very much for your reply. Are you saying I can mix Maxlife with the fluid that's left after a drain. Didn't know there is no filter.

I used to tow a 2000lb travel trailer back in the '70s with a Malibu station wagon. In the early 2000s I had a 34' class A motorhome. Just never towed anything 10' longer and 1000lbs heavier than my tow vehicle. I have the Towing Guide and the numbers look good. Just wanted to hear from anyone with practical experience with similar equipment.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:14 am

Yes, the Maxlife is fully compatible. I have several hundreds of thousands of combined miles using Maxlife in my two, R51 Pathfinders. I also use it in the transfer cases and power steering systems and in my 03 Frontier's transmission, as well.

pathy-logical

Postby pathy-logical » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:14 am

Once again, thank you.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:52 pm

I tend to stay within 3hrs of home with my rig. Going further would be costly for fuel, as I tend to average 8-10 mpg. Wind and hills will make this worse. So 3-4k miles would cost over $500 in fuel, plus campsite fees. (avg $30-50/night)

Can your truck do it? Absolutely. But it'd probably be cheaper to tent or hotel it. And probably some white knuckles when you get to those hills.

Sorry I didn't get to this til now, have been camping!

And I change my trans fluid at least once per year due to the abuse I do to my poor girl. 360k km and counting! (223k mi)

pathy-logical

Postby pathy-logical » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:50 pm

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the reply. I remember when I joined here you were one of the first to welcome me. I was impressed or should I say amazed at your rig. So naturally I thought of you when I bought the trailer. It's roughly 26' long, 8' wide, twin 3500lb Dexter axles, brakes on all four wheels. GVWR 5500lbs. The hitch is a Reese Strait Line which I hope minimizes sway but there ain't much I can do about the frontal area.. Seems to tow easily enough around the flats where I live. The trailer is bigger and heavier than what I set out to buy but my wife's requirements dictated something like this.

I understand what your saying about costs, etc. But the trip we're making is a must do. I'm not planning on using campgrounds as I don't have a fixed itinerary. My plan is to not push it - drive four hours, stop one or two, drive three or four more, stop overnight. Have meals prepared ahead of time packed in the refrigerator. The last two times we made this trip it became increasingly difficult to find what I would call affordable, good hotels that would allow our dog. We stayed at a couple of dumps out of necessity. Now with the COVID this seemed like the thing to do. I think a 2017 or newer Armada would be better suited to this task but our budget doesn't allow for that right now. Maybe next year. I'm thinking 10-12 mpg, which will be acceptable and put us in the range of what hotels and restaurants have cost us previously. You know what they say, if you want to make the gods laugh, tell them your plans.

Thanks again. I really wanted your opinion on what I'm trying to do, and if you think of anything helpful please send it my way.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”